Chapter 18

"What if my best days are the days I've left behind?
And what if the rest stays the same for all my life?
I'm running with my eyes closed, so it goes
You live and then you die
But the hardest pill to swallow is the meantime
Are the best days just the ones that we survive?"
Alessia Cara "Best Days"

Ashanti

"I want to get a boob job." I'm in August's kitchen, eating some green grapes while waiting for Momma, Chandra, and the girls to come downstairs for our girls day out. I'm going to borrow his car since it's a 7-seater, while my Benz is a 5-seater and there's six of us. I just want to see if he loves my body the way it is.

"Stop playing. Are you serious?" He actually seems excited about the idea.

"Yeah. I mean, I have the money to get them done and I thought you would like them."

"Damn straight. I like them big. When are you going go to the clinic or whatever?" My jaw dropped. "Got that *ss. You look beautiful just the way you are." I pushed him away from me, so I could get a bottle of water in the fridge.

"So, where are y'all going?" He stood behind me with his arms wrapped around my shoulders, knowing that would make me smile.

"I planned a little shopping, lunch and probably something else before we come back." I walked into the living room to sit down on the leather couch. I saw that he had put the collage I made him in a picture frame on his cocktail table that almost broke my back the last time I was here. I also got him a Michael Kors watch. Auggie saw me staring at it.

"I have a question."

"What is it?" I asked him.

"Why didn't you include yourself in it?" He wondered, referring to the collage as he sat on the arm of the couch.

"It was supposed to be a family thing."

"You're now a part of this family though. Everybody can see that since you're the first girl Momma let call her that instead of Ms. Sheila."

"Aww, I feel so loved." I placed my hand over my heart, blushing a little. "What are you doing today?"

"Travis and I are to going to chill until the game later. Are you sure you don't want to come? I can get you a ticket. We're sitting court side." I nodded.

"It's okay. I need to catch up on some chores and my reading before work tomorrow."

"You're still using that app? What is it called again?"

"Wattpad. I love reading the fantasies about the famous August Alsina."

"Me?"

"Yeah, there are a lot of books about you."

"I might have to check it out." I shook my head and checked my hair in the mirror next to the front door. I saw August taking money out of his wallet from the corner of my eye. I turned around and he tried to hand me the wad of cash, but I refused.

"I don't need it, Auggie."

"Just take it, baby."

"Nope." Before he could utter another word, the ladies came down the stairs.

" Before he could utter another word, the ladies came down the stairs