Chapter 23

"I know my life can get so crazy but as long as you're right here
None of the gossip, nothing can stop us
I'm wanna love you with no fears
We can do this thing together
Close your eyes and take my hand
Cause what we have is something special
Baby let's just take our chance
Baby let's just take our chance."
DeJ Loaf "No Fear"

Ashanti

August left for his tour with Usher a few days after our dance class and I miss him so much. Luckily, work, the crew, and Reese are here to put a smile on my face, so I don't wallow in misery about my man.

I was bawling like a baby when I dropped him off at airport. I had to put on some concealer to hide my puffy eyes at work. I came home from the hospital at around 4 this afternoon and my work didn't stop there. I fed Reese, took out the trash, and played with him outside so he could get some fresh air.

Before I walked back into the house, I checked the mailbox. I found a small box addressed to me with no return address. I took it inside and brought it into the kitchen to open it with a knife. I found a jewelry box from Zales. What did August buy me this time? When I lifted the lid, I revealed a white gold, diamond necklace with a heart pendant and matching earrings.

"This is so beautiful." I whispered under my breath. He is so sweet. Let me try calling him. My phone wasn't working yesterday and we couldn't really talk for long on the hospital phone.

Something wrong always happens when I update my iPhone. I finally upgraded to iOS 8 and my phone couldn't receive or make calls. I reset my network settings, and switched the cellular data on and off with no success. I finally found a solution online that made me take out my SIM card and reinsert it. It wasn't as bad as when I had to get a replacement after the Apple Store tried to restore function to my phone screen after it froze.

I placed the phone on the counter and put it on speaker as I put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Teyana was supposed to wash them last night, but she said that she was tired and they would disappear by the time I got home today. I'm not even going to say anything when she gets home. I want to hear what excuse she comes up with first.

"What's good?" August answered. I heard a bunch of female voices talking in the background.

"Hello?" I think I called the wrong number.

"Yeah, I'm here. What's going on with you?" I hung up the phone and waited for him to call back. My phone rang and I waited a few more seconds than usual to pick up.

"How may I help you?"

"What's up with you?" August inquired.

"What's my name?" Oh na-na. I love that song.

"What kind of question is that?"

"Say my name, August." I gritted through my teeth.

"Are you high right now, Ashanti?" He wondered.

"Nah, I'm gucci." I smiled to myself.

"You're up to something and I'm going to find out what."

"Anyway, are you doing alright?"

"Why are you sounding like Momma? What did Usher tell you?"