The big city.

"What were you coming back to do, yesterday, anyway?" Dad asked me.

"Oh, yeah.

What's that silly book in the basement?" I asked.

"Oh!" He said, holding out his hand.

A perfectly round stone appeared, then pieces began flaking off and disappearing until a carved flint figurine of myself sat in his hand.

He gave it to me and I looked at him curiously.

"Still think it's just a silly book?

You're looking at one of only seven humans who can even wield magic." He grinned.

"Why only seven?" I asked.

"That's easy.

Well, it's easy to explain, now...

There was a lull in fighting, during the war.

One in our company was a tattoo artist.

He was your father.

We were low on supplies, so he used soot and blood from a fresh injury to make the ink that was used in our tattoos.

He had a cat morph woman put her pawprint on our necks and traced it with a tattoo gun and the ink.

We spent countless hours trying to understand why we could use magic until Charlene pointed at her tattoo and said that it might be the reason.

Sure enough, his blood runs through our viens." He said.

"So... you really are my dad!" I said happily.

I hugged him and he cried.

"Thank you." He said.

"There are different kinds of morphs, though?" I asked.

"Sure.

Just in the mustelid family, there are weasels, fishers, otters, minks, skunks, badgers and ferrets.

There are others but, I forget what they're called.

There are wolves, coyotes, foxes, dogs and red maned wolves.

The last ones only eat fruits and vegetables, just like their wild counterparts.

Also, they're not actually wolves, foxes or anything.

They're their own kind.

Then, there are the cats.

For any wild cat species, there is a morph species." He said.

"Where did we all come from and, why were you and my mom able to have my siblings?" I asked.

He laughed.

"Where? You tell me.

I heard that all morphs know their origins.

As for the second part? I'm not sure.

For a while, I thought that it might have been my tattoo but, then I remembered that there are other human and morph families in the city.

I don't really know the answer to why we could have them." He said.

After a while, I was about to tell him where the morphs came from but, then a tall building distracted me.

"Oh woooow! It's huuge!" I said.

Dad smiled.

"I've never liked cities but, since the war ended, this one has become a stronghold for morphs and humans alike." He said.