8

8
Sevyn

"Thank you for choosing Zaxby's, can I get a name for your order?" Sevyn spoke into the headset, talking to the customer. Sevyn worked at Zaxby's part time since she was in school. Zaxby's wasn't her dream job but it was damn sure helping her get through school, with the help of financial aid.

Sevyn typed in the customers name on the screen. "What can I get for you?" The customer started to order.

"Can I get a Cobb salad with no eggs?"

"Yes, would you like that fried or grilled?"

"Can I have it fried? With ranch?"

"You can ma'am. Can I get you anything else?"

"Uhm, can I get a large grape Minute Maid?"

"You can, your total is gonna be $12.52. Go ahead and pull around for me." Sevyn said in her customer service voice.

"Thank you." The customer drove around.

It was 5 o'clock, time for Sevyn to get off and she looked around for her replacement. She saw her coworker, Amber making her way towards her. She handed her the headset. "Have fun, girl."

"Girlll, I'm ready to go home already." Amber joked and they laughed. Amber was around Sevyn's age and she was pretty cool to work with.

Sevyn told everyone bye as she grabbed her purse and headed out the door. Kairo was suppose to be picking her up from work but she realized she didn't know what his car looked like. She didn't even know he had a car. She wondered why he was riding the bus that day. She reached into her purse to find her phone to text him but just as she was about to text him, she saw a black Nissan with tinted windows pulling into the parking lot. The car was rattling due to the music being so loud. "Mama, I'm sorry I'm late. Hop in." Kairo yelled out the window, catching Sevyn's attention. She smiled as she put her phone back into her purse and hopped in the car. She put her seatbelt on and placed her purse in the back seat.

"My bad mama, I hadda go get my car out the shop. Them motherfuckers was taking forever."

"It's okay." I smiled, and he turned the music down.

"How was work, mama?" He asked as he started to pull away from Zaxby's.

"It was good. Them customers be trying it though."

"Damn shawty, don't beat nobody ass." He joked

"Whatever." I playfully rolled my eyes. "So your car was in the shop, that's why you were riding the bus?"

"Hell yeah. Something always wrong with this motherfucker."

I laughed, "Atleast you have a car."

He took his eyes off the road and looked at me for a split second. "Mama it's cool, you'll get one soon. Life be out this bitch kicking ass, shit you in school and got a job mama. You still winning."

I smiled because of his encouragement. "Thank you, Kairo."

"No pressure, ma."

Kairo pulled up in front of my dorm building and parked the car. He turned the music down a little more. "So mama, be real with a nigga. You in a relationship?"