30

A few months later...

I bump into Sandile at the hospital after my routine check. I'm a bit of a mess. I've been receiving really unsettling news lately.

"Hey, long time no see." He beams at me and I wish I could reciprocate but I can't.
"Are you okay, would you like to talk? Over coffee perhaps??"
"Tea." I reply without thinking.

***

We go to the hospital's cafeteria.
"What are you doing here at the hospital?" I begin when I notice his awkwardness.

"I'm shadowing one of the doctors here. He's my mentor. Did Sphe tell you about her pregnancy. I found out first of course. My first pregnancy test..." He rambles on and I just sigh.

"Sorry. It's just good to see you?"
"Likewise."

"So what are you doing here?" His energy is just too loud for me.
"Routine check."

"Right. Silly me. Good news, I hope."

I keep quiet for a moment.

"Not so good news?..." Concern is etched on his face.

"Good news. Just tired. Lots of work." I don't really know what I want. I want to be here, but not to talk. I just need his warm and affectionate energy. But I need it quietly. But if I'm too quiet, he's going to be suspicious.

"You're doing your articles, right?" He asks and I nod.

"Are you sure it's just work?" The suspicion I was trying to wade off is now on beast mode.
"Yes." I say but I'm not lying entirely.

"I don't believe you." He sounds like he knows something.
"What do you want from me?" I'm on the verge of tears.

"I thought you needed time. Space..." He sounds hurt, really hurt.
"Sphe!" I grit my teeth.

"She's worried about you. She doesn't trust the guy. I don't either."
"He's not your concern!"

"You're my concern!"

"Please keep it down. You're not the only ones here." The matron hisses at both of us.

"Sorry." Sandile apologizes on both our behalfs.

"I don't want to be."
"He is dangerous Africa. You have to get away from him whilst you still have time. My brother is investigating him and he found some horrific things about him."

"I thought you weren't on speaking terms with your brother."
"Why are you changing the subject, unless you already know... you're working on the case." He's not asking.

I say nothing.

"You're protecting the scum."
"No."
"Then what?"

Then...

I've run out of time. If there was ever any chance of escape, it's long gone now. I'm tied to him in a way that I could never break free. The options I have cannot completely free me from him.

The red flags were always there, I just ignored them. I was hooked on my fix. I selfishly wanted more and more, I could never get enough. I only reaslise now that I've biten more than I can chew.

I can't bring myself to say these words to Sandile.

I just..

"I have to go." I tell him
"You haven't touched your tea." He points out.

I look at my tea for the first time since he placed it infront of me. I catch my reflection. I can't bear to look at myself so I look at him.

I slowly get and walk away without any sense of direction.

I bump into someone.

"Hey! Africa. Long time no see." I'm surprised by his affection.

"Hey, Sosha."

Sandile's brother has a puzzled expression.

"You should come to dinner. We have to catch up."

I smile and agree to his invitation. I don't ask about the details. I'm glad that Sandile is fixing his relationship with his brother.

***

Hey guys I know I haven't updated in a while. But I've got two new chapters for you.

I have only one question; Can you guess what is stressing Africa out?

I'll update as soon as I get the right answer.

Just kidding. I'll update as soon as I can.
Happy reading ✌️🖤