19

When we get home, Sandile gives me the silent treatment. I don't even get a nod when I tell him goodnight.

I look for him in the lounge when I wake in the morning but it seems like he has left already, or maybe he's just ignoring me.

My phone beeps on the on the table and I realise that I didn't know where it was. I'm quite surprised that I was able to wake up without an alarm. I guess drama is a good wake up call.

I see Nolitha's name on the screen.

"Bra white says you should take the day off , you'll come back when the dust settles."  I read the text twice.

Of course, I also wouldn't want me around me with all this drama around me. I groan as I head to the shower. 

I head to my classes afterwards.

The day goes on quicker than I had anticipated. Now I'm left with nothing to do, so I decide to do some early grocery shopping. I need something to keep me busy, so spending money I don't have is what I'll do.

I fill my basket with only the essentials, the cheapest ones of course.

I'm unable to brush off the feeling of being followed. I keep noticing some awkward and weird movements when I look over my shoulder. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, it's been a long month and I barely survived.

I decide to ignore it and continue with my shopping.

I get an "I told you so" from my instincts when the perpetrator is revealed to me. I'm so shocked and yet not so surprised when I see him. I almost drop the eggs in my hands. Is he stalking me?

I stand still as he approaches.

"are you following me?" I look behind me for any accomplices of his even though I don't know what they would look like.

"don't flatter yourself" he scoffs.

I try walking past him but he blocks me.

"Please leave me alone" I beg him assertively.

"you look exhausted." he points out.

"between you and I, I'd say I'm winning" I point out the bruises on his face.

"I let him hit me because of you" he states.

"yay! good for you. You'll get your Mr nobility award very soon" I turn to walk the other way but he grabs my arm.

"don't you miss me?'

"no, now let me go" I try escaping from his grip but he tightens it.

"come on, you know you do. I can tell you're bored out of your life"

"will you let me go if I say 'yes'?" 

"be honest", he stares deeply into my eyes and I feel hypnotised.

"I'm fine. We're fine." I tell him without looking at him.

"he's boring. You're bored"

"can I leave please" I plead with my eyes.

"answer me this one thing and I'll let you leave"

"okay?" I say and he reluctantly lets go of my arm. It's as if he's afraid that I'll just run.

"I need you to be honest" his now serious face scares me a bit.

"okay shoot"

"do you confidently believe that you're a good lawyer?" he asks me and I laugh. He doesn't laugh however.

"you're being serious?"

"yes. will you be able to prosecute me?"

"what, why would I have to do that?"

"Would you be able to prosecute him?" 

I'm now confused.

"what do You mean?"

"do you have a soft spot for us?"

"I...I..." I really don't know what to say.

"and the defence wins. This is pretty straightforward will you be able to prosecute me or not?" he seems annoyed with me.

"why are  you in some sort of trouble?" I'm suddenly frantic. I don't know where the instinct to worry about him comes from but I find myself in a situation of being more than ready to help him in any way I can.

"that is not the point!" he raise his voice.

"the voice is me" I say quietly.

"finally! she gets it" he claps his hands in mocking celebration. his action attracts some unwanted attention towards us.

"you want to know if I can be professional enough to prosecute you?" I direct the question more to myself, setting up a chain of internal conflicts.

"yes" he says but I pay no attention to him.

"can I leave now?" 

"you haven't answered my question"

"will you hold me hostage if I don't"

"no" he moves to let me pass but my legs are frozen. "sure take your time. I'll miss you" he says then he leaves me standing there. 

His question stays on my mind for the rest of the day. I can't point out the actual reason for his question. I just hope he isn't in any serious trouble because I don't I'll be able to do what he's asked of me.