15

I wake up feeling a bit drowsy after the surgery. I'm also feeling a bit nauseous and bloated. The pain is totally unbearable, reminding me again of how much I hate being sick and confined in a hospital.

I hear footsteps approaching and the little bit of energy that's inside me immediately disappears. I'm no mood for a confrontation or any type of company.

oh, my dad doesn't know I'm in hospital... actually let me rephrase that. I don't want my dad to know I'm in the hospitals. I've had enough lectures this week to last me a lifetime. The biggest surprise and relief is that my subconscious has been easy on me since my admission. I don't know...maybe I've been doing a good job at keeping her out. maybe it's just the sedation.

When the person, who the footsteps  belong to finally enters my ward, I'm long buried under the covers. I'm afraid to see who it so I stay there and wait for him to speak. Instead of words, I hear sobbing and whimpering. I'm almost tempted to come out of my hiding place but if that's my father... I don't know. 

"I'm sorry..." his voice is strained and a bit hoarse. even so, I can tell who it is. I find myself instinctively wanting to hold him and tell him it's okay. He finds my hand under the covers and he squeezes it. The feeling is warm and familiar. he's been so far away for too long, I hadn't even realized how much I yearned for his touch.

"this is all my fault..." his sad voice pains me but I'm admittedly too much of a coward to face him.

"I put you in here. I should've told you a long time ago instead of running away from my issues. you deserve to know why I become so estranged. I'm so sorry" his sobbing gets louder and his speech is a bit incoherent but I manage to grab onto the important parts.

This is it. finally all my wishes and prayers are going to be answered. We're finally going to be okay. I don't know what he's going to tell me. It might scare me, it might shock me to the core but I believe that we're strong enough to fight it together.

Unfortunately, luck isn't something that is very fond of me. Just when my hopes are on the highest of highs, everything just tumbles down on me.

"look what the cat dragged in." Keletso's sneers. It's an intentionally disrespectful and mocking sneer.

Honestly, if there ever was a tiny bit of respect I held for him, it's all gone. I shift uncomfortably as I hope against all hope that Sandile doesn't notice how much I'm gripping ono his hand.

"I'm not 'what the cat dragged in' I'm her boyfriend" Sandile sniffs angrily. I know I'm the only one that can diffuse this situation but I'm afraid I might make things work. After all they're both fighting because of me. I just hope things won't escalate any further.

"only when it's convenient." Keletso snorts and I know he's only goading him. Of course he finds all this amusing and he intends to milk it as much as he can.

Sandile is one guy that doesn't like backing down. He's all about standing your ground and fighting for what's yours. That's one thing I hate about the other gender. When their pride and ego is on the line, nothing else matters. Let's just hope this doesn't turn into a blood match.

Sandile tugs away from my hand. The chair screeches against the floor as he stands up violently. My heart hammers against my chest as I'm hoping for a miracle.

"Don't disrespect me" his teeth are gritted and as loud as his voice is, I can tell that he's far from me. It's obvious that he's probably in his face or his hands have made their way to Keletso's face.

I hold my breath as I anticipate a physical fight.

"the only reason I'm not punching you right now is because of her" Keletso is calm and there is an uncomfortable silence among us.

I should definitely get and stop this right now but unfortunately I'm courage the cowardly dog.

"Gentlemen, this is a hospital not a boxing ring. how do you expect the patient to recover when you're both trying to kill each other?" The doctor scolds them calmly and relief washes over me.

He doesn't mention the incident and I'm thankful. He continues with his routine check up.   

"how are you feeling" he asks me. He sounds professional however there's still a hint of care in his tone.

"A bit tired" I don't mention the pain because I assume he  knows about it.

"It should all wear off in a couple of days." he says. "nonetheless you are out of the woods, but only if  you follow the prescription guidelines and you come here as soon as some thing is wrong" I nod and he continues. "you'll be discharged later today and take care of yourself, yeah?" I nod again and he leaves.

I wish I could say I'm excited about being discharged but honestly I'm not. I was hoping to stay one more day. I'm not ready to face the mess that's my life right now but then I guess there's no use in delaying the inevitable.

later on...

Keletso walks in as I'm preparing to leave. My blood boils at the sight of him. The smile that dances on his lips repulses me even more.

"hey stranger" he greets me playfully. He's clearly ignorant and indifferent towards the mess he made today.

"what do you want?" I snap at him.

"Hello to you too, stranger.

how are you?

I'm still in pain but I'm fine, and you?

after seeing your beautiful face, I'm phenomenal.

and to answer your question, I'm here to pick you up because unlike other people I care" he seems annoyed by my reaction towards him but I couldn't care any less.

"and I should feel a certain way about that?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

"yes. you should."

"because that's what the control freak wants right?" I raise my voice.

he keeps quiet and I groan in annoyance.

"Youyou want everything to be done your way! you want to control everything and everyone! just stop it okay!! just stop being a control freak!!" I scream at him and he still keeps quiet and I groan again.

"when you're done can we leave" he says after a while and he smirks.

"I'm glad to know that you find all this amusing" I tell him and he laughs at me.

I automatically join in. There's something about his cockiness that entices me. It always has me letting my guard down. He knows this and he uses it to his advantage all the time. That's what makes it easy for him to turn me into putty in his hands.