Twenty-Four

Nat found him down in the weapons training room, knowing it would be the first place he would go to, to let off some steam. She was thankful he hadn't started yet, as the doors were still unlocked... 'Shes gone, just thought you'd want to know..'.. She walked over to him, as he strapped on his wrist guard.

He huffed out a laugh, shaking his head... 'I don't get it Nat. I don't get why she's being like this. No matter what she says, or what she calls herself, she's Tess. I know it. Being at her farm, that was our dream, when we were kids..'.. He looked across at her... 'If Tess, that part of her was completely gone, then she wouldn't have THAT house..'

She watched as he went to one knee to check his arrows... 'Look, I don't know what's going on completely, and part of me still doesn't trust her, but what I do know, is that she still cares about you, no matter what..'

'If she cared, she wouldn't be threatening my family..'.. He got back to his feet, putting his quiver to his back and sighing... 'What do I do Nat? Seeing her, the real her..'.. He hand a hand through his hair... 'Brought back those feelings again. I thought I lost her, and made myself move on, which didn't work out, but even then, any woman I've tried with..'

'They're not Tess. I get it Clint, I do. I see it from both sides. What they did to her..'.. She shook her head... 'I don't think any of us would have made it out with any sanity. What she's doing, is trying..'.. Nat put a hand on his shoulder... 'Shes trying really hard to have somewhat of a normal life, while taking down an organisation that wants to rule the world, alone..'

'Then why not come to us? After she escaped, and her memories came back? We could've helped, we can help. So why now? Why me?..'.. Nat could see how much he was hurting over it, and she really didn't know.

'Thats a conversation for you two, to have..'.. She shrugged... 'You're benched by the way..'

'What the fuck do you mean I'm benched?..'.. Oh, he was pissed, as if he wasn't angry enough already.

'After you left, she told us we have a mole. That they know, what we know, except about you two. If they make that connection, they'll come for you, to get to her..'.. Nat folds her arms.

'What? What mole? Who?..'.. He was on edge, now understanding why she wanted him safe.

'We don't know yet, she said they would be coming soon. She gave Tony a drive, told him that the truth is on there, then she disappeared with Loki, said she needed his help..'.. Nat tells him.

Clint thought about it for a moment... 'Can I go outside? To the city?..'

'You got me, Steve, Buck and Sam. Two of us have to be with you at all times, even here. Sam is outside the door right now, as guard. Look, I know this isn't ideal..'.. She watched him throw is hands up, rolling his eyes... 'But if she's right, and honestly, I believe she is, anything happens to you, she won't hesitate to lose control..'

Clint run a hand over his face, sighing... 'This is just great..'.. He scoffed... 'Im a prisoner in my own home. I need to shoot..'.. He looks across at Nat and she nods at him, before leaving the room... 'Friday, lockdown. Set the targets on hardest setting, and throw on my playlist..'

Friday did as he asked, and the first bars of Sweet Home Alabama started playing through the speakers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

'I must say I thoroughly admire this plan..'.. Loki smirked at her from the other side of her desk, swirling his glass in his hand as it rested on the side of the chair... 'To see his face, would bring me much satisfaction..'