Twelve

It had been a week since the avengers were at her bar, and she had kept track of them. She knew Barnes had been around, watching, waiting. She did not press charges against him, but Tina had ensured they knew there would be trouble if he came at her again.

Sitting back in her chair as she ate, Mel watched the team on her laptop. Stark may be a genius, but she had been trained for years, he didn't know that she had been in his system for months, watching them and listening.

She smirked seeing Barnes argue with them again. She didn't hate him, for his part he played in the years Hydra had her, in fact, she understood how he felt. She would find as much intel she could about Hydra, their bases and operations, those that were a part of the organisation. She would find them, hunt them down and destroy them.

Her eyes flicked to the archer as he stepped forward, trying to diffuse the situation, and sighed. He was the only reason Hydra couldn't fully break her. Even after she escaped, and her memories slowly came back, his eyes, his smile still burned in her mind.

She had fought for so many years, every time they tried to wipe her memory, he still remained. It was why they had to give her the shots, to subdue her memories, and the device that was in her neck, controlled and tracked her.

She saw Barnes storm off and knew he would be back later, watching the bar. Brushing her hands off, she took the wrappers and threw them in the bin next to her desk and picked up her phone to make a call. She smiled when he answered on the first ring.

'Melody, to what do I owe the pleasure?..'

She kicked off her shoes and put her feet up on the desk, her eyes still on her screen... 'I have a problem. An old friend shall we say, attacked me in my bar last week. I have witnesses and footage. I didn't press charges, but he seems to be relentless and has been stalking all week..'

She heard him chuckle. She knew his secret, and she had told him hers... 'Do I even want to know who?..'

'The winter soldier..'.. She grinned seeing the Captain pout on the screen.

'Do they know it's you?..'

'Hes adamant it's me, but the others are unsure. Wilson is dating one of my girls, and he asks her questions on behalf of Barnes. Shes beginning to feel uncomfortable about it..'.. She leaned forward, tapping a button to change cameras.

'What do you need?..'

'A protection order, include the condition of no questioning of myself, what I do or any of my girls. Should he come within 100ft of my bar or one of us, I will press charges..'.. She saw Stark head to his lab, and the others dispersed.

'I will bring it by this evening. Would you like me to personally deliver it?..'.. She heard the amusement in his voice and chuckled.

'You just want to go check them out yourself, but go ahead. I'm sure you'll get some satisfaction out of it..'.. She really liked the guy, he was a good friend. He was one of the very few men she could be comfortable around.

'I'll get a feel on them, see if they suspect. What about Wilson? You want me to make it clear?..'

'Casey loves him, but the constant questions will drive a wedge between them. Have a word, and a warning..'.. She tucked the phone between her ear and shoulder, grabbing her bottle of water, to drink.

'It'll be my pleasure. You pretty much keep us in business..'

Mel chuckled at him... 'Would you rather I take it elsewhere?..'

'Absolutely not. Darla is great by the way. She's taken to it exceedingly well..'

'Take care of my girl Murdock. I'll see you later..'.. She smiled, proud of Darla.

'You know we will..'

He hung up and she put her phone down, dropping her feet as she sat forward, and saw Stark pull up the files he created on her, back when she was Ace. She tracked where the others were, and as always, she felt the tug within her, as she watched Barton move around the compound. A part of her wanted to tell him the truth, but she knew he would be angry, maybe hate her. She didn't want pity, sympathy or any of that bullshit. Now that she was free, she would still watch over him, and keep him safe. He saved her, now it was her turn, to save him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Bucky had enough with everyone, especially Steve. He told them that it was Ace, and they didn't believe him. Tony had done a thorough check on the woman, finding nothing that warranted the team to search her place or detain her. Tony had told the team everything he had found on her. Aside from having zero social media and a low digital footprint, she was clean.

Bucky knew that no woman, would ever be that clean. No credit cards no social media, not even a traffic violation. Apparently she was homeschooled, as they couldn't find any record of her in any highschool.

He was at breaking point, and he would find out the truth, one way or another.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tony was cautious as Friday told him they had a guest out front. The whole team was on alert, and they gathered in the foyer, seeing the man through the door. Friday had informed him the man's name was Matt Murdoch, a lawyer from Hells Kitchen.

Tony could see the man had a cane and wore glasses, and he frowned. A blind man who was a lawyer, was something new. He had Friday open the door, and he stepped forward... 'Can I help you?..'

Matt smiled, though he was blind, he knew everyone of them, aside from Barnes was there. Holding his cane in one hand, he held out the other... 'Matt Murdock, Mr Stark..'

Tony shook the man's hand, wondering why he was there... 'This isn't a social call, is it?..'

Matt shook head head, and reached into his breast pocket, holding out an envelope... 'Afraid not..'.. Stark took it from him... 'Protection and restraining order against Mr Barnes. He has been loitering around a bar, putting the people who work there under duress. I'm aware he attacked the owner last week, and although she did not press charges at the time, she has asked to have this..'.. He gestured to the envelope.

'Should Mr Barnes continue, he will be arrested. I do not need to tell you how that would go for him, considering his past..'.. He felt everyone tense... 'Also a message for Mr Wilson..'.. He cocked his head... 'I'd advise you against questioning your partner of her boss' past..'.. Matt turned to leave... 'Oh, and one more thing, it came into effect as of 5pm today, so if Mr Barnes in the vicinity of the bar right now, you best call him back. Good evening..'.. He headed back down the steps, to the car that was waiting for him.

Tony watched as the car drove away, and opened the envelope to read the papers. She really had covered everything, he sighed looking over at Steve... 'You better hope he's not anywhere near there, cause this..'.. He holds up the papers... 'Will have his ass on the raft, in solitary til the day he dies. Not to mention, we would all be called before a committee, questioning us and about what we do. They could disband us, have us locked up..'

Maybe Bucky is right? Maybe it is her..'.. Sam says, shaking his head, pissed off with that woman.

'Nothing I've found suggests otherwise. I literally have her whole life on show down in my lab..'.. Tony gestures in the direction... 'She was in a toxic, abusive relationship for a while, and managed to escape. She's kept out of the media as to not draw attention to herself where she will be found again. She protects other women who have been through a similar experience..'.. Tony handed the papers to Bruce as Steve left to make a call.

'She surrounds herself with women who have a past, and are in need of help..'.. Nat steps forward... 'So we check out all the details of her past. Maybe something doesn't add up. When did she get that bar?..'.. She asks.

'Around 10 months ago, why?..'.. Tony sighs.

'And where was she before that? What did she do for work. I mean that building isn't cheap, so where did she get the money from?..'.. Nat turns to the others, talking, not realising that she's been watched and heard. Oh, she had no idea what was in store for her and the rest of the avengers.

😘