18 - Can I speak for myself?

Recap~
'You want to be Anderson's daughter-in-law, you have to prove to be worthy of it', I thought and looked at the girl in the eyes with a mocking smile.
But she just cocked her head to the side and looked at me weirdly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elora's pov.

The giant and furious grandfather looked at me weirdly like he was thinking of something evil, but he just looked like a little kid planning to eat his boogers to spite his mom.

'Eww, why are you like this?' Anna asked.

'You mean why am I so fantastic, fabulous, and flamingly hot? Darling, I was born that way', I sassed back.

She just rolled her eyes and disappeared, leaving me alone in the tense atmosphere.

Suddenly the old man's face turned from weird to aloof, and in a hard voice, he said, " Very well. I wasn't asked for my opinion of Rey's marriage, but now I can ask her a few things right?" Dadi and mom both nodded eagerly. Not wanting to spite the old man.

Naira and the triplets' parents (Happy and Jasmine) all looked scared while the triplets looked smug.

Like they achieved something.

"Can you cook?" He asked his voice still cold.

"I do-"

'I do know how to cook', was what I was going to say...

"Yes, she knows how to cook. She can cook everything." Dadi said hurriedly.

"You name it and she can make it," Mom added, for extra measures as if that wasn't enough.

I didn't even get the chance to speak.

I didn't say much, hardly ten sentences, since I arrived here.
They all speak for me like I am mute.
Not that I am complaining, I never liked to talk much when I am not comfortable with people.

But honestly, I like them.

They don't force me to speak as my sperm donors did. And even if they talk too much, they never talk badly about me.

Only things in my favor.

Like now.

I watched as they sugar-coated all the words about my cooking skills.

Poor souls thought that I was about to say 'I don't know', and rushed in to save me or rather themselves from the old man's rage.

Everybody else was just silently watching, with a little sympathy in their eyes.

"Aagar uske khane ki tareef ho gayi ho, toh hum bhi kha ke dekh le. Even I want to see how I will "gobble up the food" made by her." The old man said.

(If you guys are done praising her cooking skills can we move on to try it)

Wait I should give him a nickname can't keep calling the old man old now can I?

It would hurt his feelings

What should I call him?

Before I could ponder more about his nickname, mom pulled me with her towards, where I guess the kitchen was.

I let her drag me around, knowing that she couldn't do the same if I didn't want to move.

"Don't worry, I will help you. We can start with something simple like-"

"Come back here Mihika. You will stay here till she is done. No one will go to the kitchen until she brings the food outside on the table." The old man commanded.

Mom looked at dadi with worry and then at me with sorry eyes. She reluctantly moved and went back into the hall to sit with the others.

I just shrugged and went inside the kitchen, halting halfway when I remembered that I did not ask them what they would like.

Not that I care, but if I am making something it might as well be something they like.
So I popped my head out and, "What do-"

"Daddu, look she is trying to cheat. She is calling badi ma for help." Fuckboy and rage boy shouted together.

Without letting me finish my sentence.

Again.

"Go back inside, you won't get any help right now," Dadi said strictly. But her eyes gave her away, they were asking for forgiveness.

God why are people so emotional, she didn't even do anything bad.
It makes me feel bad when people, especially, old people do that.

'Yeah, it makes your heart all soft and sad, right?' Anna asked suddenly.
'NO. It's nothing like that. Stop spewing bullshit, and get lost.' I snapped and she went away.

I went back in and started to think about what I should make.

God is this how Maya mama felt when I told her to make anything she likes?

Shit, when did I start to worry about things like these. Me the great-...

Ah! Never mind.

Well since they did not want to eat their favorite food, I will the food that I usually eat.

'I just hope they don't get disappointed' I thought as I start to cook with a small smirk on my face.

•••••••••••••••
A/N

Hey guys, SURPRISE UPDATE.
This is a long chapter that I wrote in just 2 days, so hope you like it.
Please share your thoughts on it 🥺 and vote, for faster updates.

Quick question: Is the new cover nice?
Which one is better?
New or old?
Please help me decide that.

Thanks for reading♡

Hope we meet soon
~Simrat