Chapter 35

I always loved the sounds of the forest. The chirping of birds, rustling in the tree leaves, and the gentle hum of the living things that hid from sight. Even the speckled ground lit by the peaking sun in the distance. This was what home felt like.

"How are you feeling?" Palleas rode next to me.

"I'm alright?" I laughed at Palleas's random concern.

"Well, you are the one that was mind controlled." Palleas rolled his eyes.

"If she was mind controlled right now, you'd be dead." Kelrith smirked.

"That is not what I was saying." He sighed. "Never mind." Poor Palleas, sounded a bit tired today.

"I understand what you meant, Palleas, and thank you," I gave him a smile. He smiled back.

"Ugh, gross." Beatra scoffed. Palleas and I looked at her.

"What is the problem, Beatra?" I asked her politely.

"You two."

"Do you have a problem with people smiling now?" I shook my head at her. She was really good at having an attitude. She had killed Debynn and had been hunting me down since then. I have no reason to let her live. I would blame Kelrith or Bargonaan for wanting to keep her alive, but they made it clear it was my decision. For some reason I wanted to give her a chance. She was lucky that I made a promise to myself to not kill ever again.

"Come now, don't act stupid. I can see how Palleas looks at-"

"Do shut your mouth," Palleas interrupted Beatra.

"Make me. I would enjoy watching you try."

Palleas dismounted his horse and walked up to Bargonaan's horse.

"Palleas, this is childish," Bargonaan sighed.

"She is already bound by the wrists. Can you not ignore her?" Kelrith agreed.

I did well to ignore their banter and looked ahead of us. I could see the mountains clearly behind the trees. We had just about reached the Druid's village.

"Untie her wrists, Bargonaan." Palleas said. "It's time I show Beatra who is stronger. Come on, let me fight her one on one."

Palleas was still going off. I don't know how Beatra got so far under his skin.

"Guys, the Druid's camp is right up ahead. Do you think this can wait till-" I paused. Something caught the corner of my eye.

"Palleas, shut your damn mouth for one second," Kelrith yelled. I looked at him. He was staring at the same place I was.

"Kelrith, did you see-"

Arrows came screaming by, piercing my horse in the chest. I found myself falling backwards off the saddle. Within a second my head met the side of a tree trunk. I swore.

"Ambush!" I heard the cry ringing through the forest. I grabbed my throbbing head, blinking away the pain. We were suddenly surrounded by a familiar six. The ladies Palleas had bought the Black Lotus from.

"Charge!" The head leader yelled.

Bargonaan's horse screamed up on its hind legs, tossing Beatra and Bargonaan to the ground. The horse took off with an arrow protruding from its right shoulder.

I wanted to help my collapsed horse up but there was no time. A girl with war paint across her lips jumped towards me, dagger in hand. I screamed.

I quickly managed to draw my sword.

It was warm in my hands. Like a liquid fire that flowed through my veins. It was just like the first time I used this power against Waryn. The time had come to use it. I closed my eyes, ready to see my fate.