Chapter-9

She must be talking about Cecily. But why is she in the parlor? I never call her.

"Philen, no, did the Duke bring her there?"

"No... I heard Master sent her first to greet the guests."

"Ha?"

It was the mansion's hostess's job to greet the guests, not a mistress's job. But he gave that role to Cecily.

It was absurd. I didn't know what to say. No, did I have anything to say? I wasn't the hostess of the mansion either. I was just acting as a hostess under Philen's tacit permission.

Thinking so, I felt bitter as I thought that my situation and Cecily's were the same.

"My lady, what should we do?"

"There's nothing we can do. If the Duke tells her to do that, she'll follow it."

"Ugh." Misa was frustrated with my answer. She shook her head and went outside.

The frustration was the same for me. I wanted to ask Philen what on earth he was thinking, but I couldn't because I was afraid that a terrible answer would come back.

"You're stupid."

You're really stupid, Leila.

And like a fool, after putting the documents in the safe, I followed Misa to the parlor.

Philen was already in the parlor.

If I had been alone with Cecily, it would have been awkward, so I felt relieved seeing him here, but at the same time, I felt uncomfortable.

Like a thorn stuck in my throat. "You are here, Duke."

"Lady Thebesa is here, too."

After a hard greeting with Philen, my eyes spontaneously turned to Cecily next to him. Should I also say hello to Cecily?

I thought it would be better to do it because there's a lot of eyes, but I was hesitating because I didn't want to.

"Hello, Lady Thebesa."

Cecily greeted me first in a friendly manner. I was greeted and it was not polite to ignore it.

"Yes! Hello..."

I tried to take it easy, but when I saw the clothes Cecily was wearing, I belatedly opened my eyes wide.

If my memory wasn't wrong, the clothes Cecily was wearing right now were the maternity clothes that the predecessor Duchess gave me as a gift.

It's been nearly a decade, but when I closed my eyes, I still clearly remembered what happened when I received that maternity clothes.

"To give you this, who hasn't been married yet, I feel so excited, but what can I do? I want to quickly see you wear it."

The Duchess smiled shyly like a girl and gave me that clothes as a gift.

She said she received the maternity clothes from the Duchess of Seonseondae. She said she wanted to do something like this when she had a daughter-in-law.

"A daughter who resembles you would be very pretty, Leila. If that's the case, I hope my hair looks like you."

She said she wanted to see me wearing those clothes before prenatal. She said she wanted to see my baby and gave me that clothes as a gift.

But why is she wearing it? Clothes that I have never worn.

Someday, if I had children the way the predecessor Duchess hoped, the clothes I kept in silence...