Chapter 67 - Sick beastie

Y/N's POV

I open the door, laying my head back and breathing in the fresh air. The tension of all the sleepless nights leaves my body, finally free of all the torments.

Checking my phone for any missed messages or calls, my eyes land on a familiar name. I furrow my brows, reading through the message, and let out a long exhale.

Aubrey
I don't know if you already know it, but someone has been lying sick in their bed since this morning 🤒

Y/n
Oh, noo :( She didn't tell me yet, but thanks for letting me know!

I got the send button, waiting in the cool spot under the tree as three dots appear under my message.

Who would have thought that Miss I'll never get sick catches a cold only days after our date at the lake?

Aubrey
No problem, y/n. Knowing Lizzie, she wouldn't have called you at all today, probably waving it off instead of realizing that she is sick.

Y/n
Well, that sounds just like her.. I'll swing by in soon and see how she feels for myself 🕵🏽‍♀️ Once again, thanks!

I leave the campus, making my way towards the city and buying some things in hopes to cheer her up a bit. Being a person who always needs to be on their feet to feel productive, rarely taking a time out to just do absolutely nothing, I have the feeling that she is feeling far worse for laying in bed than having any symptoms.

An hour later, I pull up in her driveway and turn off the engine. Grabbing the white carrier bag, I exit the car and push the driver's door shut. Instead of ringing the bell, not wanting her to get up on her feet only to open the door for me, I searched for the hidden key under a certain plant pot at the corner of the house.

Successfully finding the key, I unlock the door and take off my shoes. I walk up the stairs, after seeing no one in the living room or kitchen, leaving only one place left where she could be- her bed.

I carefully open the door to her bedroom, quietly peeking inside. She sits on her bed, my eyes barely recognizing the mountain of tissues on the other side of the bed as my gaze only hangs on the blonde.

My heart clenches together as I notice the heavy eye bags under her eyes, indicating a rough night. Still wearing her pajama, hair put into a loose bun, Lizzie eyes me with an expression of surprise and worry.

"There you are." I breathe out, giving her a small smile.

Lizzie's eyes widen, shaking her head as I enter the room. "No, don't-"

Closing the door behind me, she slumps back into her pillows in defeat. The sight of her small pout on her pink lips sends a silly smirk on my face, noticing her wavering between scolding me or welcoming me with open arms.

"Now you're going to get it too." Lizzie mumbles, voice hoarse as she crosses her arms in front of her chest. "I don't want to give it to you."

My heart warms at her caring words, shaking my head in response. I walk up to her, halting as she moves up a few inches to sit up upright.

Always the good posture, I think, as she pats the side of the mattress. Sometimes I ask myself how she does it, never seeing her slouching no matter what.

Her eyes flicker to the white bag in my hand, the smell barely noticeable to her due to her stuffed nose.

"Oh, don't be so sure about that. My immune system seems to be better than yours." I grin, placing the bag on the mattress and sitting down on the edge of it. "A little bird told me that my beautiful girlfriend is sick."