Chapter 46 - Returning to reality

Y/N's POV

After three hours of being in the air we finally landed at the airport, searching for our suitcases. The most annoying thing about finding your luggage is the long wait. When Lizzie's suitcases lastly arrived, we made our way to the entrance hall.

Walking beside her, with our suitcases in one hand, I side-eye her. Lizzie seems lost in thoughts, staring straight ahead, a small smile grazing her lips. Her blonde hair is put into a loose bun, small strands of hair falling out of it.

"You're doing it again." Lizzie whispers without looking at me. "Can't keep your eyes off me, can't you?"

I shake my head, chuckling at being caught. "I can't help myself if my girlfriend looks so adorable."

The word slips out of my mouth before I can't even think about it, biting down on my tongue as I look at her.

Lizzie's eyes drift to me, before shyly looking away again. I can barely make out her reaction, but the soft blush on her cheeks gives her away.

"Oh, does that word make you blush." I tease, grinning as her cheeks heat up, eyes flickering to me for a swift moment.

"It's...it's just nice to hear it." Lizzie mumbles, looking to the other side as my grin widens. "I like the sound of it."

Seeing her so shy, I move closer to her, extending my arm and intertwining our fingers together.

"Me too." I whisper, gently caressing her skin with my thumb. "I love to finally call you mine."

Lizzie stares at me again, her eyes shining with nothing but love that makes my stomach flutter.

"Only yours, darling." She smiles, raising my hand to her lips and pressing a soft kiss on my skin.

I instantly smile, wanting to lean closer, but knowing that we're not far from home anymore makes me rethink it. The possibility that anyone could see us together makes my heart clench, not wanting to get her in trouble for being seen with a student.

With a bitter taste in my mouth, I do the thing that I despite the most: letting go of her warm hand.

Something washes over her face but is quickly replaced by another smile. "Let's go home."

We get on the escalator, Lizzie in front of me with her suitcase beside her. At this early hour, the entrance hall is as serene as it ever is. The people at the lower floor move without any rush, returning people reuniting with their loved ones.

"I'm right behind you." I whisper, burying my hand in my jacket. Smiling softly as Lizzie turns her head around, I'm overcome with a new sense of peace.

Oh god, now I can't even look at her without having the urge to smile.

"Just lead th-"

"Y/n!" I hear someone yell, rolling my eyes as I instantly recognize the voice. Seeing Lizzie tense visibly before me, I want nothing more than to caress her shoulder.

Oh, no.

"James." I whisper, not even making it sound like a question, as I turn into the direction of where the loud voice was coming from.

And there he is, standing in the center of the hall, waving at me with a stupid grin. In his hand, he holds a white paper with my name written on it.

"I think someone missed you very much." Lizzie mutters, looking at me again.

Her expression is calmer, knowing that James is no threat to us since he knows about our relationship.

I groan, but I can't hide the infectious smile as James runs towards us, his height standing out of the crowd.