Chapter 37 - Give and take

Y/N's POV

"You want to tell me where you're going?" I ask her, observing how she packs her suitcase while I still lay in bed. Lizzie is already on her feet all morning, only wearing her white shirt that is slightly see-through, making me want to rip it off her body.

Since the conversation that I witnessed last week, I didn't ask her about it, thinking that it would somehow come up in the following days. But she didn't mention it anymore, letting me stay in the dark about her plans.

"To New York." Lizzie doesn't even look up from her suitcase as she carefully folds her clothes, eyes concentrated on the task. "There's a charity event I have to attend because the college can't send anyone else."

I sigh, trying to get more out of her. "Why does the college need to be represented there?"

Finally, Lizzie looks me in the eyes, halting her movements before making her way around the bed to sit down beside me. "Every year some rich companies hold this kind of event to fundraise money for better education all around the world."

"And you're attending to represent the college?"

She hums, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth. "Yes. They don't want to send anybody there, knowing that it's important for the college's name."

Smiling at her, I raise a brow, clicking my tongue. "That must be flattering to hear. You know, since you are so fitting for the role."

She grins softly, making me laugh. "A little."

"How long will you be gone?" I ask, tone quieter than usual as I avert my eyes from her gaze, staring at a random spot on the mattress.

"My flight leaves tomorrow, and I'll be back on Monday," Lizzie states, "I didn't know it would be four days, but the flight is already booked."

I nod absently, a sudden wave of sadness coming over me as I listen to her. Why am I sad? It isn't like I spent the last weeks by her side almost every day, but that doesn't give me a reason to be affected by her absence.

Lizzie seems to notice my change of behavior, leaning a bit closer, hand brushing against my fingers. "Do you want to accompany me?"

"What?" I furrow my brows, eyes bouncing back to her eyes. "You want me there with you?" Disbelief wavers in my voice as I stare at her with raised eyebrows.

Lizzie nods, chuckling at my expression. "Yes, why not? It would be nice to get out of here for a few days."

"Are you sure? Am I even allowed to be there when it's such an important event? I don't want to ruin it for you. I'm not that go-"

"I'll gladly take you with me. Besides, I can have a plus one, so no need to worry about that, darling." She cuts me off, pushing every doubt I have about her suggestion aside. "So you'll come with me?"

I press my lips together, scanning her face for any lies, but she just looks at me with bright green eyes,

"Okay. Yeah, I'll come with you."

"Great," she whispers. Her fingers trace over the back of my hand as she stares at me without saying anything, making me feel slightly uneasy. Not that her look is threatening, but the pure affection she shows me is so new to me, it scares me.

"Are you hungry?" I ask, sounding a little out of breath.

Her movements stop as Lizzie tilts her head to the side. "What do you have in mind?"

I furrow my brows. "I don't know. We can make something out of your recipes book or-"

"I don't think that's what I'm craving right now." She says, lifting herself up from the mattress to settle herself down on my lap. My hands come up to rest on her thighs, smiling up at her as her fingers brush through my hair.