Chapter 54 - Separation

Y/N's POV

The following days, I spent most of my time at her place again, cooking dinner with her and cuddling on the couch in front of the fireplace.

She sometimes even shows me photographs of her childhood, telling me about her family and friends. I realize the close bond she has with people, her effort to take care of everyone so admiring.

This realization makes me fall for her even more, seeing the pure soul that wants to care for the whole world.

Comfortably we lay on the couch, silently enjoying the time together without the need to break the calm atmosphere with our voices. My legs are laying over her lap, head resting against a pillow. Her fingers rub over my skin, mindlessly tracing imaginary lines with her fingertips.

Her nose is buried in a book, eyes shifting over the paper in a silent dance. I put on a random Disney+ movie - Tangled, because it's the only movie that I could watch over and over again without getting bored - attention fixated on the screen.

With every gentle squeeze of her fingers against my skin, my eyes automatically glance at her, gaze lingering on her with soft eyes. The small action makes my heart pound faster, the thought of her not able to keep her hands off me too adorable.

Her phone vibrates, screen lighting up, and Lizzie places the book to the side. She checks her phone, one finger still in between the pages. The small furrowing of her eyebrows doesn't go unnoticed by me, the relaxation on her face crumbling.

"What's on your mind, angel?" I whisper, pausing the movie and sitting up, fingers brushing over her arm.

"It's my mother." She heavily sighs, dropping the phone on the couch and rolling her head back. Her eyes squeeze together, making it clear that it's not a good topic. "She wants me to go back home for this event where my family is supposed to attend."

"I see." I mumble, laying my finger against my lip. My fingers brush over her palm, raising a brow as another question forms in my head. "Why do you need to go, can't she attend it or your sisters?"

Lizzie chuckles, shaking her head and opening her eyes again. "My mother isn't exactly fond of seeing my father, even if it's for a good cause. So she takes every opportunity to send someone else."

"Doesn't explain why your sisters can't attend."

"Well, I think Alice could go, but only one family member is a bit scant. She likes those events with all eyes on her, but Makayla likes to stay home with her daughter and spend time with her."

"I understand, you're just the best one of them." I smile, moving on top of her and placing a loose strand behind her ear. "And I totally agree with that statement. You're perfect, inside and out."

Lizzie tilts her head, emerald eyes glinting with amusement. "Darling, I feel like Alice might be a bit disappointed to hear those words coming out of your mouth."

"Oh, please tell her from me that she's very close to coming in second." I tease, leaning a bit backwards like the distance would save me from her reaction. "Maybe if she tries a bit harder, she could become my favorite."

She rolls her eyes, quietly scoffing, and gives my waist a hard squeeze. Grinning widely, I press one finger against her chest, nibbling at my bottom lip. "When you're back home, you could ask her if she has a thing for college students with an awful soft spot for blondes. Who knows, Alice might want to t-"

Her hand claps over my mouth, a serious expression in her eyes, but the corners of her lips twitch as she holds herself back to not grin. "Shh, stop talking, or you might regret it."