Ch. 45: See You Again

See You Again- Tyler, The Creator feat: Kali Uchis

"You live in my dream state. Relocate my fantasy. I stay in reality. You live in my dream state. Any time I count sheep. That's the only time we make up, make up. You exist behind my eyelids, my eyelids. Now I don't wanna wake up. 20/20, 20/20 vision. Cupid hit me, cupid hit me with precision. I wonder if you look both ways when you cross my mind (Yeah), I said, I said. I'm sick of, sick of, sick of, sick of chasing. You're the one that's always running through my daydream, I I can only see your face when I close my eyes."

"Can I get a kiss? And can you make it last forever?I said I'm 'bout to go to war, and I don't know if I'ma see you again."

Dawn POV

Here's Jake is in all his glory. He's on a mission. A furrow to his brows in determination for the ultimate goal of finding his sibling while trying to maintain his mental state. If only the tickets weren't so goddamn expensive. On top of that, I have my finals next weekend, and I still need to go bridesmaid shopping for Alice's wedding! These all sound so small in the grand scheme of things. I'm just getting myself all anxious for no reason. Remember Dawn, one foot after the other. We have a couple days in New York. Short notice, but these were the cheapest tickets Jake could find. He also doesn't want to waste another second. The downside is that the airport is all the way back home. All flights in San Fran were fully booked. This isn't my first choice, but all of this is for Jake. I promised I would be there every second as long as he wanted me next to him.

He's done unspeakable things for me. I need to be there for Jake.

"You good?" my boyfriend asks, merging into the next lane to get in the carpool. We're heading back home as we speak. I have three days' worth of clothes, and I hope to scavenge any remaining pieces from my house and Jake's. I should have washed before taking off, but I didn't want Jake waiting on me too long. "Dawn?" Jake tries once more.

"Oh, yeah," I laugh nervously, clearing my voice while focusing out the window. Shit, he's going to notice. "We should get pizza tonight for dinner," I add.

"Dawn?" His voice grows testy, "What's going on?"

"Okay, well, I have my finals next week. It's only two classes but it's accelerated, and I don't think I packed enough clothes for the trip, and I already Venmoed you for the ticket because I don't want you to spend more than you should. But I need to find a dress for Alice's wedding because it's in two weeks--"

"Baby, baby, relax. Why didn't you tell me you had an exam? I didn't mean for you to get stressed. I can take you back home." I can tell he's trying to ghost his voice into a cheerful sound, but it won't work.

"I want to be there for you, Jake. And honestly, that's at the bottom of my list. It's the rest that's just eating at my skull."

"I don't know why you decided to pay for the ticket. You're going there for me."

"You've been doing a lot for me. I just felt like I needed to."

"I don't understand why you feel this way. Perks of being a part of the Underground. Pay increase with the percentages on matches."

I roll my eyes at the window. Here he goes back with the Underground talk.

"I'm paying for your bridesmaid dress then, and maybe a few tops and lingerie for the trip."

"Jake! No and no!"

"Dawn, don't start right now. You're my girlfriend, and girlfriends get gifts and are pampered by said boyfriend."

"That might be the first time you referred to both of us as boyfriend and girlfriend without hesitation."

Jake clears his throat, "You didn't have to make a comment. Now it's awkward."