Chapter 66

Miles's POV

The same fucking moon stares up at me, the same damned moon I've been seeing for the past few hours. A loud beeping sound comes from the truck and I quickly lift my head up. 

I've been trying to fall asleep for more minutes than I can count and even after my efforts I'm still in this truck, looking at the fucking moon. I glance at my almost dead phone to see that four am is screaming at me.

"Fuck you," I say, shaking my head as I look at the damn thing that stays still, mocking me. 

I try my best to lie back on my arms while looking up at the only light that shines through the dark blue night.

"Why the fuck am I so whipped by her?" I breathe, watching as my hot breath dies out in the ice-cold car air. 

The only thing on my mind is her, no matter how hard I try to get her out of there, she's stuck. I grab the necklace out of my pocket, the gorgeous blue heart reminds me of her no matter how stupid that feels. 

I put It around the rearview mirror, my eyes still piercing through it. My mind travels back to her face after I hit whatever the hell his name is, she looked so frightened of me, almost as if I was the source of all evil is unleashed upon her. 

'I'm not yours anymore and I never want to be' plays in my head over and over and over again until I want to vomit. I look into the darkness, and with nothing to lose, I turn on the car. It takes almost an hour to finally stop spilling cold air out of the air conditioners before I can warm up my hands enough to drive the car. 

I drive towards the same swing before searching desperately for some goddamn house that could be hers and with nothing to lose, I park in front of a small, almost broken down home.

Madison's POV

I look up at the same ceiling I looked at before I left for Washington except now, it doesn't help my clouded mind. 

All it seems to be doing is distracting me from the one thing I want to think about—Miles. I look at the perfect full moon outside my window, the same moon that has kept me awake the whole night.

"Are you looking at the moon, Miles?" I whisper into the emptiness of my room. I take a deep breath, trying to keeping my emotions at bay but even trying makes a few tears escape from the sides of my eyes and before I know it I'm silently sobbing into my pillow.

"Madison?" I hear and the door to my bedroom open slowly.

"I finally found you." Miles smiles at me.

"No." I shake my head, he can't have just found me, can he?

"My mom is asleep, you can't be here," I say, shaking my head again but he smiles and approaches me closer.

"I'm so sorry babe, it was a mistake, I shouldn't have cheated on you—"

"You said it . . . you said the word." My lips tremble, I've been trying to avoid it as much as I could, but he said it, it did happen, he cheated. 

My eyes fill up with tears again and this time they don't have an end to them, I sob again and this time louder.

"Madison." He says, looking right at me, stroking his hand on my cheek.

"Madison." He says again but I refuse to look at him.

"Madison." My mom's voice says and I finally open my teary eyes.

"Madison, what's wrong?" My mother asks, brushing her hand against my cheek just like I thought Miles had.

"I don't know," I say in an almost whisper. My head is too foggy to think and I don't want to think, especially not now and now about him.

"Let's get ready for church, it has always made you feel better." She smiles and I nod, still not believing that I managed to fall asleep. 

My mom walks into the kitchen and makes us both cups of burning hot coffee. 

I smile at her to thank her before taking a small sip and getting dressed for church. I haven't been there for too long and I miss the calmness of the building. 

My mother hands me a light pink flowy dress that I quickly slip into. I paint my nails a light pink and put in a small pink clip into my dark hair.

"You look beautiful," Jace says and I look at him with wide eyes.

"you're coming too?" I ask with a bright smile.

"I always come to church." He says and I nod before the three of us head outside. 

The walk to church has never been very far but now that the three of us are together it feels almost like a five-second walk.

"Madison?" Jace says as we approach the church, my mother smiles and heads inside but Jace stops me.

"Your . . . he came to our house yesterday." Jace blurts out and my eyes go wide again.

"W . . . what?" I stammer.

"He freaked out my dad but I managed to talk to him in private . . . outside the house. Are you sure he's the one you want to surround yourself with?" I shake my head.

"Jace, you have nothing to worry about, he'll leave as soon as I leave and then . . . eventually, he'll stop chasing after me like this." I gulp at the thought. 

Jace nods before taking my hand in his and walking inside of the church. The thick carpet leads us through the seats before we finally find my mother and sit next to her. 

The large building has always brought peace to me and now it gives me peace more than ever before. The priest looks over everyone.

"Angela has told me that our dear Madison is back for the weekend." The priest says and faces turn to me with smiles.

"Thank you." I nod at the priest.

"Please, come here darling." He says and I nod before standing up, brushing off imperfections off my dress.

"This is for you, from us." He says before handing me what looks to be a beautifully decorated wine glass wrapped in see-through plastic.

"Thank you, so much." I smile. The priest gives me a nod before waving his hand over the seats, gesturing for me to sit back down. I oblige and smile at Jace after sitting down.

"It's beautiful." He says and I nod. The priest smiles over the people in the church before finally begging to speak from the bible.

AFTER HALF AN HOUR everyone starts applauding the beautiful quire and we all stand up to leave. The priest has left and now nothing but people are walking out of the church. 

My mother talks to Betty who is beside her as we walk towards the door, most of the people have left, and yet there are so many more inside of the church. 

I hold tightly onto the wine glass as I smile at Jace who's walking behind me. A bright light comes from the open doors but as soon as my eyes adjust I stop in my tracks. The wine-glass falls from my hands and shatters into more pieces than I could ever count. 

I want to speak but I can't, it's like my lips are shut together and the air in my lungs has been taken away from me. My heart starts to race as I look at him—at Miles.

"Oh god." I hear my mother gasping, I look over at her and she's covering her mouth, her eyes staring at him with surprise.

"He looks exactly like—" My mother's friend starts but is stopped by her.

"Peter." My mother gasps.