Chapter 15

I DRY MY damp hair before hurrying to class. I don't have a lot of classes so I might as well try my best to attend most of them. I know my mom wouldn't approve of any less. 

The class is almost empty which lets me enjoy my few Thursday classes even more. Everyone stays quiet waiting for the teacher before the door slams loudly with a bang. I turn my head only to see Miles walking in. He doesn't acknowledge me, he never does. He sits a row below me which makes me giggle to myself. One minute he's sitting away from me and the next he couldn't be closer. Miles pulls his black silk jacket away from his neck before grabbing a pink energy drink out of his black bag. It seems to be the only color in his life. The teacher gives him the stink eye but Miles smirks. 

My phone starts vibrating uncontrollably which grabs the attention of a few students along with Miles. I glance at my phone with a smile. Jace.

Jace: "I've missed you so much, this place isn't the same without my Maddie."

Jace: "I've been helping your mom out, she's been going to the doctor. He's telling her that she's in much better shape than before."

Jace: "Your mom misses you so much and so do I, we made a cake for my grandpas birthday . . . he didn't enjoy the blue frosting as much as we had hoped but it worked out okay."

Jace: "the connection here isn't the best but I hope the messages finally get through."

Jace: "I know your birthday is in two days but I'm coming tomorrow to see you, it's going to be more of a birthday trip."

As I read the messages I feel my eyes fill up with tears, I really did miss life back at home despite having gotten used to this place. I reply to all of Jace's messages, telling him I can't wait to see him tomorrow which only reminds me that I need to pack some clothes to take with. I take a deep breath before putting my phone away.

I'm glad college is so flexible, I barely have any classes and I might as well skip this class on Friday's, the teacher is nice and we haven't had difficult assignments.

 Miles turns his head to me and whispers; "Hey, uh do you have a pen?"

Without saying anything, I grab one out of my small pencil holder before giving it to him. It's weird how good he is at pretending he doesn't know me, after everything he said he manages to sit there and ask me for a pen? 

He gives me a slight smile and hurries to scribble down a few numbers in ablack book before quickly placing it back into his black backpack.

The professor tells us about a pair assignment that'll start on Monday. I sigh before mentally preparing myself for next week.

 I'll come home way too late on Monday to start an assignment. I quickly scribble down a list in my head of how many things I'll need to catch up on next week.

The class is over but the teacher is still finishing his presentation. I wish there was a huge loud bell-like in high school that would tell them to stop and students would flood out of the classrooms whether the teachers liked it or not. I start walking towards the door with all of my stuff as soon as the professor finally finishes the sentence on the board.

"Yo! Maddie." Miles' voice calls. I turn around to see him hand me the pen.

"Than—" He runs out the door before I finish. Who am I kidding, he doesn't care. As soon as I get to my room, Jacob stands there with a bouquet of roses in his hands.

"I know you have plans for your birthday but I still wanted to do something for you." He smiles, his blue eyes shining bright.

"thank you, Jacob . . . you're so sweet. I love them." I smile before smelling the red roses.

"Anything for you." He smiles, brushing his fingers against my cheek.

"I wanted to ask you if you'd come to dinner . . . you know, to meet my parents, I think it's time I introduce you." He licks his lip.

"I'd love to." I smile