Chapter 46

Jacob's POV

The car finally manages to get out of the slumpy snow

"Don't you want to let her know we're coming back?" Chrissy asks but I shake my head. That would only take more time away from me seeing her. I take a deep breath as I focus my eyes on the steady and slippery road ahead, every turn and every corner of the road is a dangerous plummet downhill but I can't help it, I need her.

"Another wether reporting came in, there's another storm," Chrissy says but I ignore her, the thought of spending another night without my Maddie makes my heart twitch.

"Jacob!" she finally demands and I give her a fake smile.

"Got it," I say too harshly.

"I know, but it's an hour-long drive." She explains and I shake my head.

"So what?" I almost lose it.

"If you want to go back, I'll drop you off. But don't tell me not to get to her." I bark and she gives up.

"Fine." She rolls her eyes.

"You know, you're just like Miles."

"Am not." She teases.

"Oh yes, you so are." I laugh and she slaps at my shoulder.

AS SOON AS WE arrive I can't help but run towards the front door, almost slipping on the thin ice, receiving a giggle from Chrissy who helps with bringing in all of our new coats. I try opening the door but it's locked. As my fingers search my pockets for a key, the door opens only to reveal Miles and Madison right next to each other, staring at me as if I've just barged into their home uninvited.

"What's going on?" Chrissy asks after seeing the three of us just standing there but her voice is almost inaudible, echoing around in my head. 

I look back and forth at Madison and then at Miles. Something about the look on her face isn't right.

"Maddie?" I ask but my voice comes out almost hoarse. After a lack of an answer, I look at Miles who stands there, looking right into my eyes with a smirk.

"You son of a fucking bitch!" I yell at the top of my lungs before tackling him to the ground.

My thick coat holds me back as my fists pounce at his face over and over again. I hear silent screams from both Maddie and Chrissy but I don't want to stop, I want to kill the son of a fucking bitch. 

I see red and the color gets darker and darker until Miles finally manages to punch me back right at the cheekbone, only to receive and even harder punch to his already fucked up nose. My left-hand holds his shirt tightly, pulling him down on the floor whilst my right-hand pounces at his face, spilling blood from his lips.

"Can you punch something other than my nose next time?" Miles says with a small smile on his face that I want to desperately wipe off.

"Jacob!" Maddie screams and for a split second I look at her before Miles tackles me onto the ground instead, he hovers over me like a motherfucker. 

He grabs onto my shirt tight enough to rip it right through before punching as hard as he can at my stomach, using all of his force on me.

"Don't try this again." He says to my almost unconscious self.

"You fucking son of a bitch!" I yell with the last breath I have before pulling myself up onto my knees and then my feet. As I walk upstairs I hear Madison's voice echoing through my head yet again but this time it's a sharp and piercing pain.

"Jacob please!" Hand tries to grab at my shoulder.

"I . . ." I turn to look at her, she looks hurt and a few tears threaten to escape from the side of her perfect eyes.

"I can't look at you right now," I say before pushing her hand away and walking up the stairs. I lock myself into the bathroom before hearing silence downstairs. Blood drops drip into the sink and I stare at each of them as they taint the white sink almost completely red. My blue eyes look bloodshot, my lip is busted and my cheekbones are colored with the familiar colors of purple. Muffled voices sound from downstairs before I hear footsteps approaching me.

Madison's POV

The only thing I can focus on is Miles's car keys that hang on the small wooden key-holder next to the door.

"Can someone please explain what the hell is going on?!" Chrissy asks and I want to cry. Miles shrugs with a fake smile and I'm surprised at how deceiving he is. 

I open the door and grab the car keys before I can make up my mind. My feet feel the cold snow as I run through the freezing cold and into Miles's car. The cabin door opens and I see Miles running out along with Chrissy. 

I turn the car on press the gas as hard as I can before they can reach me. Tears start to stream down my face, clouding my vision before I wipe them away and bite at my tongue to hopefully keep my emotions at bay. I drive the car into an unknown area and my eyes search for a place to stop, I need to think clearly if I'm going to be driving this car. 

I check the small pockets on my sweater, hoping I'll find my phone but as always it's not with me. I mentally scold myself for not bringing it with me before spotting a small gas station and try my best to park the massive gray car. A few older men smoke cigarettes outside as their eyes stay glued to my feet.

"You not wearing shoes ma'am?" one of them asks and my feet start to ache from the cold.

"I—" I start but don't know what to say and especially not to these strangers.

"My son will get you some shoes," he says abruptly.

"Hayden!" he yells and a familiar boy appears in front of me. Our eyes meet and we both smile.

"Didn't think I'd see you here." I giggle.

"Neither did I and . . . barefoot in the snow?" he asks confused and I nod.

"Long story," I say.

"Enough introductions, go get her some boots!" the man yells, giving me a friendly smile before fixing his dirty cap. 

Hayden runs back with a pair of converse sneakers and I smile at him, apologizing for being such a burden.

"This your car?" he asks, raising his brows. His smile is comforting and every word out of his mouth makes me either laugh or smile.

"That's an even longer story," I say before pressing the key to lock the car, receiving a smile from Hayden's lips.

"So what are you doing here anyway?" he asks as we both step into the small gas station shop.

"I'm . . . I'm here with some friends, staying at the cabin."

"East of the lake?" he asks and I nod.

"it's an amazing place." He smiles.

"It sure is," I say before grabbing a bottle of water.

"So . . . uh, if you're not doing anything later . . ." he scratches the back of his neck, revealing the thick muscles Chrissy raved about when he helped us with our decorations.

"Maybe we can grab dinner?" He smiles. For a minute I don't know what to say.

"You don't—" he starts after I don't answer but I quickly stop his words.

"I'd love to." I smile.

"Great, I'll pick you up—"

"Actually, can we go now?" I ask, hesitantly.

"Oh, uh, of course, yeah. I know a great place." He smiles.