Chapter 30

The dark night surrounds me from every corner and my feet start to ache. I must have walked for at least twenty minutes with no sight of a bus stop. 

A few cars drive by and all I can do is hope that I'll never see Miles again. My head is clouded and I can barely think straight about what happened. Did he really try to kiss me?

"Yo Maddie!" I hear Mile's voice yell out of the window of his gray car.

"Leave me alone," I demand, before continuing my long walk. I pull my coat closer to myself, hoping to shield some of my body from the pouring rain.

"Come on, there's no way you can walk to your dorm from here." He says licking his lips which only brings me back to the way his face approached closer to mine.

"Maddie, please," He pleads, his eyes sincere for once but I don't answer.

"Fine." He huffs, driving away, leaving me to stop in front of the dark and rainy road facing me.

 Large raindrops fall onto the top of my head, leaving my whole body soaking. Maybe I really can't walk home in this weather. I hear a loud engine sound and as I look behind me Miles's car approaches quickly, stopping sideways in front of me. 

The door opens and Miles heads out, running towards me and before I know it, his strong arms grab me, lifting me up and into the front seat.

"You know this is technically kidnapping," I say, hiding a smile.

"Put on your seatbelt." He says, ignoring me. Small drops drip from my hair and onto the seat. I part my lips slightly to finally speak.

"Why did you—"

"I—"

We say in unison. He brushes his fingers through his hair.

"Why did you try to . . . kiss me?" I ask, keeping my eyes on the road ahead.

"Kiss you?" he says with a scoff.

"Don't flatter yourself Madison."

"then what—"

"I'd never kiss someone like you." He says, his words cutting deeper into the wounds he made before. 

I swallow the lump in my throat as I stare at the windshield wipes. I try my best to keep my emotions at bay but a few tears betray me as they run down my cheeks.

MY ALARM WAKES me up and this time I feel a little used to it. I sneeze before finally sanding up. "You look sick." Chrissy says and I sniffle before finally mustering an 'oh'. I guess all that running in the rain yesterday really did get me sick. I glance in the mirror only to see that she's right. "I think you need to skip, girl." She says but I shake my head.

"I don't think—"

"Madison, school isn't everything, plus what's the fun in showing up to every class? You're sick, you're staying here." She says with a slight giggle as her hands rest on my shoulders.

"you're right," I say, surprising the both of us. I really do need some time to catch up, especially on the assignment that we didn't finish yesterday.

 I make the bed before brushing a wand of mascara through my lashes. The hear rattling at the door handle. I can only hope it's Chrissy coming to get something she forgot.

"Oh, sorry. I . . . I was looking for Chrissy." Miles saying sorry? I must be dreaming.

"It's okay. She left a few hours ago." I explain with a small cough.

"You sick?" he asks, his lips parted.

"It's just a small cold." His eyes scan my whole body.

"you really should sleep like that." He smiles as his eyes dart to the floor.

I giggle before realizing my shirt has slipped down my shoulder revealing the white color of my bralette. 

"There's nothing wrong with this," I explain, tugging awkwardly at my shirt, hoping it'll cover more of my skin.

"It's a turn-on." He says and I feel a shiver run through my body.

"You shouldn't be saying these things when you have a girlfriend it's not right." I lecture.

He closes the door behind him slowly.

"Yeah?" he says, leaning against the door.

"Yes!" I say louder than intended, only to grab his attention once more. 

My eyes can't seem to leave his. He slowly approaches but stops right in front of my face, my eyes scan his whole face frantically but he stays calm, looking only into my eyes.

"I think you might be right on this one." He breathes, quickly grabbing a sweater from Chrissy's bedside. 

"I just came to get this." He smiles the ‚Miles smile' and heads for the door. 

I hear his footsteps getting quieter after he shuts the door behind him. What was that? And why does he need his sweater so desperately? I'm sure he has a hundred just like it. 

After sitting at my desk for three hours I finally have a start to the love story.