Chapter 52

They broke up, They broke up, They broke up, They broke up, They broke up, They broke up, They broke up.

The words have been spinning in my head ever since I got back to my dorm. I take a deep breath, I haven't slept much tonight and I don't want to. This is the only thing I want to think about. Why hasn't Chrissy told me? Why didn't Miles—why would he? I turn off the screaming alarm. 

Chrissy isn't here which surprises me, it's almost like she knew that Jacob told me about their breakup. I stand up and walk towards the large window, looking at the snow falling and blanketing everything it touches. 

I open the window but the cold rushes in, freezing the whole room. I yawn before sitting down at my desk and quickly scribbling down a page and a half to submit to the professor. After everything yesterday I forgot about the assignment and especially since Miles forgot to mention that it's a big part of our grade. 

My alarm rings once more and I realize I'll be late to class if I don't hurry. I brush a wand of mascara through my eyelashes, put in my small hoop earrings, slip into my thick heels, and run out the door. 

After dropping the paper into Mr. Stafford's mailbox I rush to class. The lecture hall is mostly empty. Miles is sitting at our usual spot but instead of sitting next to him, I sit down in the first row. I don't know how I feel about the whole situation and I don't want to come in between Chrissy and him more than I have. 

I take out my laptop and place it gently on the table in front of me. More students start to gather into the lecture hall which only speeds up my note-taking, I can't fall behind.

Miles: "Pretending like you don't know me, huh?"

I roll my eyes at the message but don't look behind me to see the smirk that I feel on my back.

Miles: "So rude."

I smile at his message before turning off my phone, making it obvious to him. The teacher trails off about the next few assignments and how an important test will be waiting for us on Friday.

"Now, I've reviewed some of your assignments and many of you will have no problem with passing the upcoming test, however, some of you really need to step it up, this is the time to give in some speed." He explains and I gulp, hoping I did okay on the assignment.

"Dismissed." He says after a few questions from the students. I stand up and glance over at Miles who remains in his seat with a smirk spread across his face. His jeans are pitch black and so is his tanktop. His hair is perfectly gelled and his strong arms are as apparent as ever as he leans in from his chair. 

I look at his mesmerizing tattoos, every time I see them I spot something new. His left arm is covered in tattoos whilst his right arm is only partially covered—from his wrist to his elbow. They almost look like two sleeves with multiple pictures. I turn around and walk towards the professor, each step makes the knots in my stomach twist tighter.

"How can I help you?" Mr. Stafford asks as he gathers all of his papers.

"I was wondering if I could know how I did on my assignment?" I ask as his eyes look at me. He fixes his small glasses before touching his beard.

"Mary?" he asks, shuffling through the assignments.

"No, I'm Madison." I smile.

"Oh, excuse me," he chuckles.

"There are too many students In my lectures to ever remember everyone's names." He continues his chuckle and I smile.

"Well as I see here, it didn't go too well." He says.

"Oh, but I—"

"I'm sorry Madison but there's nothing I can do. I can't change the grade, if I do it for one student I'll have to do it for everyone." He says and I look at him with sadness shining through me.

"Look, take the test on Friday, and take it seriously, it'll higher your grade, you should pass the class no problem. But for now, I'm sorry." He says, putting the paper back into his small folder.

"But—"

"No, but's Miss Madison." He says.

"Excuse me, is there a problem here?" Miles' raspy voice asks from behind me.

"No, no problem." Our professor says before attempting to leave.

"Because if there is . . ." he steps in front of the professor.

"I'd like to know about it," Miles says, his tone harsh. The teacher gives him a small smile before finally escaping. The class quickly empties, leaving Miles and I the only ones in the room.

"I don't need you to threaten teachers for me," I say but he smirks.

"Oh you sure?" he asks, biting his lip as he leans in closer. My arms hold my books tightly to my chest as he steps closer. 

His hand rests on the wall behind me and I can feel hit hot breath on my neck. His eyes look into mine and I'm tempted to look into them but I look down at his shoes,

"Why did you and Chrissy break up?" I ask, finally looking into his eyes. He looks caught off guard and he takes one step back. 

His jaw clenches and he looks at the wall behind me before saying, "did Jacob tell you?" he still doesn't look at me.

"Yeah but—"

"Don't be late to the party tonight." He says before turning on his heel and leaving. The red-carpeted floor of the lecture hall is starting to make me feel sick. I hurry out of the room and grab myself a caramel frappuccino before going back to the library. 

I don't feel like facing Chrissy right now and getting ready for the party is the last thing on my mind especially after what Mr. Stafford said. Did my paper really do that bad? I shake my head, being anxious is only going to make all of this worse. 

All I need to do is focus on the test that's in three whole days but yet my mind can't help but wander to how Miles reacted to my question. I let out a deep sigh before dropping my head into my hands. I look at the 'what if' on my assignment and I can't help the silliness.

"I can do this," I say to myself before scribbling down a few notes that I could practice and put together into a small essay.

"We're closing." A woman says and I look at her confused before she tells me it's eleven pm. I nod and hurry down the stairs, unsure if I'm even going to the party or not. I can't believe I stayed at the library until eleven pm. I didn't notice the time go by.

"Madison!" Chrissy says at the sight of me entering the dorm.

"Are you going to the party tonight?" she asks and I nod to my surprise.

"Are you?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm going with a friend though. I didn't know how you wanted to go but you can come with us." She says and I smile.

"I'd love to." I smile.