Chapter 17: February Fourteen

"So many people to give chocolates to."  Emiko muttered as she tempered chocolate in a pot.  

"Smells good!" Eito said as we walked in the kitchen to check what is daughter was doing late in the evening. "Wow! That's a lot of chocolate!  Who is that for?" 

"It's for Valentines!" 

"Whoa! Who's the lucky guy hm?"  He asks. 

"Several guys, dad."  She chuckled. 

"WHAT! You're giving chocolate to several guys?"

"They're friends! Don't be silly!" Emiko laughed. 

"Why?  Friends? Do you have a romantic interest in all of them?" 

"Wow, dad! It's like you were never given chocolate in high school." 

"In fact, I never was.  I was too busy studying to make friends with girls." He leaned on the counter "So, help me understand Valentines.  You give chocolate to your male friends?  What about if you have a crush on someone?  It has to be extra special?" 

"Something like that.  Many of my girl friends say that you should add love letters to really emphasise your point." 

"You giving a love letter to anyone?" Eito asked with a raised brow.  He didn't want hinder Emiko from any relationship she might want to pursue but whoever it is ought to be pretty damn special because his daughter was an angel. 

"No.  These are all friendship chocolates."

"Hm. I see."  Her father said pretty relieved. "Well, shouldn't you be giving your old man some?" 

"Of course I will! Yours is the most special!"

"It better be!" He chuckled.  "So do boys give you chocolate too?"

"No.  I don't think so.  Boys give girls chocolate on White Day!"

"There's a separate occasion?" 

"It's like you've been living under a rock, Dad!" Emiko laughed. 

"Maybe because I was! How did all of this start anyway? It's not a Japanese custom."

"You're lucky I know the answer to that.  Apparently all around the world, men are the ones who give chocolates and flowers to women on Valentines.  In the 1950's, some American company wanted to market Valentines to us.  They said giving chocolate is a way for men to express their love for a woman, but there was a translational error so it became the reverse, hence Japanese women now give chocolate to men on Valentines! Isn't that funny?" 

"That is funny and also pretty stupid."  Eito chuckled.  

"I think so too, but what can you do? I find it cute anyway." 

"Well, I'm going to head to bed soon.  How much longer will you take?"  

"I'm not really sure.  Goodnight, Dad! Love you." Emiko said as her dad exited the kitchen. 

"I love you too, Kitsune." 

Emiko smiled at the nickname only her dad called her.  She continued to stir.  

"This better be good." She mumbled to herself. 

---

The next day, Emiko texted Saiki that she'll run a bit late because of the chocolates so she won't walk with him going to school.  Reita was bummed out to learn of the fact, as he was hoping to see the pink haired beauty (and perhaps receive  chocolates from her).