Chapter 14: Christmas

Saiki isn't fond of the holidays.  It's filled with a lot of negative thoughts and people don't realise that.

He was just on his way home, when passes a couple with  thoughts that they are both  merely using each other so they would have someone to get through the holidays with.  See? 

He arrives home--although it doesn't look like his home at the moment as it is overly covered in Christmas lights.  Ah, yes.  His parents are one of those people.  He walks into his house with a bad feeling and sees Nendou with his mother. 

Their Christmas dinner ends up being a silly one where his father dresses as Santa Claus for Nendou (in learning that Nendou's father died a long time ago), gives him Kusuo's present, persuading the psychic to get a deer to make Nendou happy.  In the end, they learned more about the big guy and how much of a wonderful woman his mother is.  

In another family just two blocks away from Kusuo, Emiko and her family were having a lovely Christmas dinner.  The said girl and her father had slaved away in the kitchen (both being excellent cooks) while the her mother decorated the house beautifully but in a very simple way.  They shared stories about the happenings since their stay here and Eito, being the joker, made his two girls laugh so much their stomach ached. After dinner, Emiko prepared a lot of dessert because they invited a family to join them.  Later within the evening, the Saiki family arrived at the door making the atmosphere more cheerful and lively.  Kusuo was quiet.  Which was hardly a surprise for anyone, although he did have some dessert that was served to him and thought that they were fantastic.  Kurumi thought so too and asked where they bought it only to be pleasantly surprised that Emiko did it herself. 

"Merry Christmas, Saiki." Emiko said softly as she placed a magnificent dessert bowl of coffee jelly in front of him. "Made it especially for you." 

'Thank you.' He said as he took a bite and it was the best coffee jelly he has ever tasted (he refrained from telling her that).  

The families exchanged presents and stories making for one lovely evening.  As their parents chatted away in the living room, Emiko and Saiki were in dining room. 

"Oh, I got you a gift, Saiki.  Where did I put it... Oh here!"  She handed him a bag excitedly.  "Open it!"

He opened the bag and saw that there were three disk of video games.  He brought them out the titles read 'The Legend of Angel's Sword', 'Galactic Battle 7' and 'Pacific Doom.' 

Emiko smiled widely and said "Your mother said that you're into playing video games but you cannot get the mainstream ones because people always spoil it for you.  So I got really discreet limited edition ones they have in speciality stores. I hope you like it!"

Saiki held the discs and looked at the covers of each one and true enough, he hadn't heard of any of these video games and they didn't look like the crappy ones either.  By the looks of it, they seem foreign.  He's really quiet for a while.  Being the man of few words (at least to his friends and classmates), he wanted to say everything in the shortest way possible.  He was a powerful being, thus, he had many responsibilities.  He kept guard over his friends, made sure to prevent any disasters, he took control of many things around the world for the outcome he thinks is in the best interest of everyone.  His friends in school hang out with him and he appreciates that they've taken a liking to him.  But whenever they hang out or plan to do things, it's usually what they  want.  And then here's this transfer student who seems anything but ordinary, is instantly popular, beautiful, he avoided having a friendship with her in the beginning and yet here they are exchanging gifts on Christmas.  

This woman is a wildcard in his life and in the best way.  She understood him, she asked if he had preferences, and even if she was occasionally (okay, well, no.  She usually was noisy), she respected silence.  If you noticed, Saiki would kind of act a bit out of character around her by making little jokes or small talking and that was all because he felt comfortable around her.  Even if he was possibly the strongest being whose purpose was to look after the welfare of the entire world (even alter a few things), she made him feel that there were things in life that he could enjoy.  Seeing this bag of three video games made him feel something he barely experiences; warmth.  She went out of her way to ask his mother what he might like and searched in stores just to find something obscure for him to enjoy and then there was that coffee jelly that she made just for him.   Being born with powers, you already know that in some way, you are special, but it is a different feeling when someone goes out of their way to make you feel special.  For the first time in a really long time (coffee jelly is a different matter), he felt genuinely happy.  He always appreciated her, but it at this moment that he truly realised why.

"Saiki?" Emiko called out. 

He looked at her snapping out of his thoughts. 

'I'm sorry.' He said 'Your gift just made me really happy.'  Emiko beamed at him. "Thank you." Saiki said out loud.

"You're so welcome! When you spaced out, I was really worried you wouldn't like it." 

'No, I love it.  It's perfect'  Saiki said with a small smile.  'Here's your gift. Be careful.' 

Emiko gently took a small box from Saiki. "I'm excited." 

'You look it.' 

"I'm going to open to it."

'Really now. I thought you were meant to keep a gift closed.' 

She glared at him playfully and then proceeded to open the box.  Emiko gasped when she saw what was inside.   It was a sage green ceramic teapot with Gladiolus flowers painted on it with 6 little ceramic cups to match.  She held the teapot and looked at the intricacy of the beautiful thing.  

"Saiki... Wow... I'm so... Happy. " She smiled brighter than she did. "You really know of my love ceramics don't you?" 

'I might have learned a thing or two hearing my mother and yours' lengthy discussion about the subject.' 

"Well, you learned well.  This is... The quality... The colours... Where did you..?" 

'I had it commissioned.' 

Emiko gasped.  "Can I hug you?" She asked. 

'Sure?'

No sooner had he said that, he felt himself pushed back at the force of her hug.  It felt nice and Saiki didn't know what to do with it so he pat her back stiffly. 

"Thank you.  It's one of the best gifts I've ever received."  Emiko said quietly before she released Saiki from her embrace.  She sniffed.

'Are you crying?' 

"Of course not!" Emiko lied. 

Through all the gratefulness and appreciation they had for one other, both parties (Emiko and Kusuo) had a nonverbal agreement that they were best friends. 

Now that's what Saiki didn't see coming though he's grateful it did.