Chapter 10 - Antiques & Coffee

"What time will you be back?"  Emiko's mother asked. 

"Mmm, hard to say.  Maybe around 5 PM? 6 PM?" Emiko answered wearing her shoes. 

"You know I'm only trusting you to go out on on your own because of your abilities." 

"I know that.  But I'll keep a low profile." 

"Must be hard for you since you're a very pretty girl."  Ena said lightly. 

"MOM!"

"What? It's true!" She said defensively.  "During your sports day, a few parents approached me and asked if you had a boyfriend." 

"And so?"

"I told them you didn't and that studies were your priority." 

"This is so embarrassing." Emiko facepalmed. 

"Not for me! I'm such a proud mama.  Who else did you get those looks from huh?"  She asked jokingly. 

"Oh, mom."  Emiko said dramatically "Whatever happened to falling for the beauty within?"  The younger woman faked a faint to which the two of them kept laughing. 

"I love you, my little Emi." 

"I love you too, Mom." 

They hugged before Ena pushed Emiko away "Go go go! You need to explore the city!"

"I will! Thanks, Mom!"

"Oh! Before I forget!" Ena rushed to get something from her purse "Here! Here's a little extra to your allowance. Might wanna treat yourself today." 

"Thanks, Mom!" After one last hug, the young girl was off.  

---

The first place she went to was an antique store.  She often went to the Ramen shop Nendou introduced her to and she became very good friends with the owner who knew a little bit more about her each time she visited.  One thing he learned was Emiko's adoration for antiques.  He suggested this antique store his nephew owned just five minutes from his shop. Emiko was happy to learn of it and told him she'd visit the first chance she'd get. 

She followed his directions and finally reached the place.  It wasn't anything like she expected. The front was covered beautifully by flowering vines with lavender coloured flowers. There were two dimly lit lamps (seeing as it was day) and a parrot in front perched by the glass window.  She pushed the door going in and heard a soft bell ring as she entered.  The store smelled of cherry wood.  She stood in awe at the brilliance of the store. It had everything you imagined it would have.  The store was charmingly chaotic.  There were antique lamps hanging from the ceiling, Scrolls in glass containers, samurai warrior statues on top of a long table.  Kitsune masks hanging on the walls, old maps on the wall.  It was simply brilliant.  

"Hello, how can I help you?"  A deep voice startled Emiko out of her reverie. 

She turned to the voice and saw a dark haired middle aged man smiling kindly. "Hello, Sir.  May I just say, your store is wonderful.  Everything is beautiful." 

"Why, thank you very much.  We travelled all over Japan to get these pieces.  If I do say so myself,  I know we got the best of the best." 

"No doubt about that, sir.  Hiroaki-San wasn't exaggerating when he said how amazing all of this is."

"Pardon, Hiroaki-san?"  He asked.  "The old man who works in the ramen store nearby?" 

"Yes. He's the one." Emiko answered. 

"Would you happen to be Emiko?" The man asked trying to piece everything together. 

"Yes, that's me!" She smiled.