Chapter 4 - Meeting the Parents

"That's weird." Emiko said while walking to Saiki's house.

'What's weird?'

"I don't think my parents ever knew anyone with Saiki as a last name. Do you think they met today and just totally hit it off?"

'It's very likely. My mother is notorious for inviting people she barely knows over at our house.'

"I'm guessing you don't appreciate that. Not even a little bit."

'You know me better than Nendou or Kaido already.'

"I did tell you I was going to be your friend."

'I still don't understand why you insist.'

"I don't know, Saiki. I just feel like there's something more about you than meets the eye." She paused in thought. "I've met a lot of people in my life. Some I liked, some not so much and others I adored. I--I had a lot of friends back in Hokkaido." She paused sadly. "We've all gone through some things. A lot of it I want to forget. Please don't ask me why. Hahaha!"

'I won't, but that just made me more curious.' Saiki couldn't help but notice that she didn't voice her thoughts either.

"Anyway, we shared a lot of experiences. You reminded me of someone who... Was a very good friend of mine... Ahem. What I mean to say is, you strike me as man with a lot on his plate and... Ugh. I'm rambling. There's just something about you. I'm sure Kaido and Nendou see it too. I can't put my finger around it." She sighed heavily at how incoherent her train of thought became.

In true Saiki fashion, he didn't respond, but he did understand what she was saying. His silence made Emiko panic, wondering if she said anything wrong.

"Did I offend you? I'm so sorry! I just wanted to be friends!" 

'I get it. But I don't think I can be your friend. You're way too loud.' He told her before adding to himself.

"HEY! THAT'S NOT TRUE!" Emiko said loudly.

Saiki just looked at her as if to prove his point.

"Yeah... All right. But that doesn't mean I'll stop bothering you."

'Everyone bothers me.'

Emiko giggled out loud "Such an old man."

'Such a child.' He told her as he continued walking.

"Hey, Gramps! Maybe you need a cane? I can look for one." She said jokingly.

'Go make friends with the other kids your age.'

"Oh if I'm such a child, I shall bother you like so." She went in front of Saiki and started walking backwards. "Are we there yet?"

'No.'

"Are we there yet?"

'No.'

"Are we there yet?"

Saiki just walked past her and ignored her.

"Are we there yet?"

'Yes.' He opened the gate for her allowing her to walk first. 'Children first.' He said.

"Ooooh! Another joke. I'm feeling lucky today." She smiled as she made her way to the front door.

'Yare yare.' Saiki shook his head and opened the front door with his hands because he couldn't let her know he had powers.

"Ku!" "Emi!" Both sets of parents exclaimed at the same time.

"Oh you're both friends? That's wonderful!" Saiki's mother Kurumi said.