Chapter 18: Gunpowder

Now that Sakura knew why Itachi acted so strangely, she got anxiety whenever he needed to leave the house. He could need to go and get some gas from the closest gas station and she would still freak out but at least, she was glad that he trusted her enough to tell the truth.

She breathed in and tried to calm down her trembling hands.

A thick, medical book from the living room's shelves caught her eyes. It was a book about natural remedies and the history of medicine in different cultures. Itachi wouldn't strike her as the kind of guy who would read these kind of books so she thought that she could might as well borrow it to occupy her time.

The thunder outside didn't give any signs that it will stop soon and she only hoped that Itachi would drive carefully.

Sakura turned around to go upstairs but when the lightning stroke, a shadowy figure caught her eye at one of the kitchen's window. It was for a split second but it looked like it was standing there and watching from the outside. She clentched the book tightly until her knuckles turned white.

Just her imagination, she thought. Itachi's story must have taken a tool on her.

She rushed to the door that led to the garden and made sure that it was secured. The alarm was on as well and the police would be there any minute if someone tries to break in. Or that's how she tried to comfort herself.

The pink haired girl ran upstairs with her bare feet tapping on the hard wood. She shut the door from Itachi's room and locked it.

"I should have taken a knife or something." she banged the back of her head softly against the wooden door as her back was pressed on it. "He must have something around that I can use."

She threw the book on the bed and started opening drawers and the closet's doors.

There, in the back of the closet, laid a grey box that was quite heavy. She pulled it towards her and slowly took off the lid.

Inside was a revolver.

She gulped while touching the cold metal and moving it from one hand and another.

Yeah, of course she knew how to use one. She saw movies. That's how it works, right? You just point and shoot. Shouldn't be hard.

But deep down, she knew it wasn't true. If whoever she saw in the window was there with an ill intent, they would surely be more prepared than she is.

The front door was heard as it was closed shut.

Sakura felt the sweat on her forehead and the goosebumps forming on her skin. She definitely wasn't ready for this.

She closed the drawer in which the revolver was previously placed and stood up on her feet, facing the door. Her trembling hands raised the gun, pointing towards the door.

Heavy steps could be heard outside the door as well as the sound of doors being opened and closed. She felt the presence closer and closer and it took every cell in her body to control the franatical shaking in her hands.

The handle of the door turned and she put her finger on the trigger.

The door was pushed open completely, revealing Itachi.

As soon as his eyes laid upon her pointing a gun at him, he sightly panicked and raised both his hands.

"Sakura?" he asked unsure.

Sakura let out the breath she was holding and lowered the gun, tossing it on the bed behind her. Her franatical look avoided his.

"What were you doing? Where did you find that?" he rushed to her side, taking her hand in his. He looked at her palms that were still trembling.

"Look at me." he said softly.

Her eyes met his. "Are you alright?" he asked with obvious concern in his voice.

"I-I saw something." she whispered.

"What? What did you see?" he asked with concern all over his face.

"I don't know... It was a shadow in the kitchen's window. I... Am I going mad?" she started crying while hyperventilating.

Itachi's jaw tensed.

"When?"

"20 minutes ago? I don't know. I was so scared that I lost track of time."

"Come here." he pulled her in a hug, letting her bury her face in his shoulder while he caressed her hair.

"Can we go back home?" she sobbed.

"That's even a worse idea, I'm afraid. But look, I don't want you to be a prey or seem weak so how about I teach you how to use that gun and how to do self defense? Because I know, I won't always be there to protect you and I'd be more relaxed knowing that you can handle it. " he grabbed both sides of her face in his hand, looking at her lovingly.

He placed a hand of her on his and nodded.

"But what about my parents? Are they safe?"

"Madara wouldn't go that far so I assume yes. But I will talk to my father and see what he can do over there."

Sakura only nodded.

"Alright, I'm going to make dinner. Anything you want?"

"Anything is fine." Sakura said absently.

"Alright then. Just relax, I'll call you when it's done." he kissed her forehead.

"Actually, I'd feel safer if I'd be with you right now. Is that okay?" she asked full of hope.

"Of course." he gave her a reassuring smile.

She intertwined her fingers with his and silently went downstairs.

"Do you think this will stop somehow?" she asked out of a blue while taking a seat on a stool.

"Yeah, I will stop it."

"How?"

"I will kill Madara."