Chapter 4: The Garden

Itachi smiled lightly hoping to make her feel less scared. He could feel how tensed she was only by the way she kept her head down and her eyes were wandering through the room like she was searching for an escape. He couldn't blame her. The Uchihas were terrifying.

The pinkette nodded.

"The dress suits you. I am glad that you liked it."

"It was very kind of you, Itachi-san." her voice was heard for the first time since they arrived. She felt her throat dry.

"Mebuki, I am so glad to see you." a woman's voice was heard from behind Fugaku. Both Uchihas turned towards the voice. It was a petite woman with the typical black hair and black eyes. Sakura concluded that she was Sasuke's mother.

She was beautiful.

And both her sons looked like her for which Sakura was thankful. Fugaku gave her this bad vibe.

The black haired woman hugged Mebuki tightly.

"It's been, what, three years?"

"Yes, the high school reunion." Mebuki giggled.

Mikoto turned towards Sakura. "Well, look at how pretty you are!" the black haired woman grabbed both of the pinkette's hands, admiring her dress. "I am so happy that you are gonna be my daughter." she giggled.

Sakura's face turned towards her mom like she was asking for help but Mebuki kept smiling.

"Come on, let's sit." Fugaku invited the family. He sat very far, at the end of the long table just like a King at the feast. On his right side was Mikoto.

Itachi followed Sakura until she got to her seat, next to Mikoto. He pulled the wooden chair for her like a gentleman.

"Thank you." she murmured almost inaudible but he caught it.

He took the seat next to her while her parents sat at the opposite side. Fugaku's left side remained unoccupied and Sakura couldn't help herself but think about the missing member of the family. Sasuke...

She wondered how he felt about all this situation and how he reacted. Would he be glad or angry now that they will be family? Even though they were good friends, he was always the distant type so it was unpredictable.

In order to distract herself, she focused on the style of the dinning room. The walls were painted white while the floor was made of hard wood with a dark brown colour. From the ceiling were hanging three big chandeliers that could intimidate anyone. The huge windows had their drapes pulled aside, revealing the bright stars spread on the black sky. It would have been a nice night to spend with friends and meet new people if it wouldn't include her future destruction.

Epic. Just great.

The parents were chatting and laughing now and then. They seemed to have a good time despite of their gross arrangement.

Itachi was sitting quietly next to her, not knowing how to start a conversation. He figured that she must hate him even though, just like her, he didn't have a choice.

Or he did.

Well, he must admit. For once, he was shallow. He coould have refused the deal and his father would have found another suitor. But Sasuke was right. He could bump into a fatty anytime. So he was lucky with Sakura. And once again, she would be ruined without it.

For the first time in his life, everything was above his power.

"Sasuke!" Mikoto's voice was heard loudly.

Sakura quickly raised her head at hearing that familiar name. Everyone's attention was fixed on the new arrived person.

He wore a grey sweatshirt and black pants. He was a bit too casual.