55 The Family Meeting (2)

Noticing the tension between the two males, Wu Dingxiang changed the topic.

"Anyways, the reason for this meeting is to discuss the upcoming events this month.
As you know, the Mid-Autumn Festival is one of them. I want everyone to work hard in preparing the event in the capital."

Although some were listening, they were still amazed by Wu Xuan's sudden change and kept glancing at the young boy.

"Father, Yun'er has a suggestion." Wu Yunxia spoke up politely.

"Say it." Wu Dingxiang gestured for him to speak.

"The Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrated throughout the entire empire. Buxiu has always been feared by neighboring nations. Why don't we invite important officials from surrounding nations to let the experience the festival?"
Wu Yunxia proudly suggested with a smug face.

Madam Wu agreed with him and added,
"My Lord, Yun'er is correct. We can show them that the Buxiu empire is not just about conquest. After all, we also have our important beliefs and traditions."

Wu Dingxiang nodded in agreement,
"I will surely mention this to the emperor."

"However, this is a risky task, who knows what may happen." Xi Zhuhong interrupted, causing everyone to look at the woman.

Wu Yunxia glared at the concubine but forced a smile to hide his disdain.

"Of course I know, Lady Xi."

"If something were to happen to the important officials, the Buxiu empire would be held responsible. I suggest that instead of inviting them, why not allow them to learn of it first and then see if they want to come or not?
Every year, commoners from foreign places come to enjoy the festival but for the officials who are nobles, they look down our traditions."

Wu Xuan explained very reasonably that even those who disliked him had to agree with his point.

"Father, Xuan'er is correct. To avoid conflicts, we can't invite them or else we'll be seen as demanding. The surrounding nations have their own language, laws, and culture. We cannot force them to adopt ours if they aren't under the Buxiu rule."

Wu Xingxie pointed out as she had already prepared herself for this year's festival.

During this year, she remembered that a few princes from the Ayutthaya Kingdom* planned on enjoying the Mid-Autumn Festival after the crown prince invited them.

However, one of the princes was assassinated which enraged the Ayutthayan king. As a result, he almost declared war against the Buxiu empire. Fortunately, Prime Minister Gu was able to provide evidence to prove that it wasn't people from Buxiu who killed the prince. They actually saved the remaining princes from harm.

In fact, whether the princes came to Buxiu or not, the assassins planned on killing them no matter what.

The issue was resolved but this time, Prime Minister Gu was gone so Wu Xingxie had to make sure it didn't happen again.

"If the emperor sends a group of people to each of the different kingdoms, it would also help us learn more about that place's way of life. In order to maintain peace, we must be accepting of others." Wu Xingxie's suggestion was a more diplomatic way to approach the goal.

"Alright, at the next court assembly, I will inform the emperor." Wu Dingxiang nodded. He actually thought her idea was effective. Maybe, he could even form an alliance with the foreign nations.

"Later this week, it is Princess Shuchun's thirteenth birthday. The emperor has invited the Wu family." Wu Dingxiang stated the next event which was in five days.

Something flashed in Wu Xingxie's eyes at the mention of Princess Shuchun.

It was on her 13th birthday that the emperor decided to give her to Wu Yunxia. She didn't know the princess personally but after Wu Yunxia married her, she tried to lead a simple life. Wu Xingxie recalled that unlike her brothers who were involved in the power struggle, she was just trying to live peacefully without choosing sides.

She didn't know how things were going to be this time so Wu Xingxie formed a plan that would prove beneficial to her.

*****
Ayutthaya Kingdom- It was a Siamese Kingdom, where Thailand is today.

The setting is fictional but has some real places.

Also, should I do a character list with basic facts and how they look?