chapter two ; a teenage life

The awaited tomorrow came. Finally.

The sunlight peeped through the curtains of the old house that smelled of wood and rosemary; the scents her grandmother adored. Her eyes fluttered open to greet the specks of dust that were floating in the room that felt so hollow. 

She woke up alone. 

Nobody was downstairs making breakfast, nobody was in the shower, nobody was yelling at her for not wearing pretty clothing or splattering her face with a bunch of make-up. She lived alone in that house, but she didn't feel lonely like she did before.

She got up, and stretched. She recalled of how a good day yesterday was, that she prayed for today to be just as good.

Misaki got ready for school, and as she walked out, she remembered the road to school by heart. Not the usual road where it was crowded and filled with murmurs, but the narrow, private road where the sakura blossoms were in bloom, that little street that felt like a whole other world.

-

Yuzuru looked in the mirror and checked his phone again. It was full of reminders of what to eat and where to be in a few days that it almost felt as if he weren't getting any time off. It was good enough to be able to attend school without the attention, but to prepare so soon after getting here just felt more of a troublesome thing to do.

"You seem depressed today." His sister, Saya, called out as she was leaning against the doorframe of her little brother's room, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just stressed I guess." He shrugged. He didn't want to mention his worries to his family, the people who have given so much so he could pursue his dream. He just couldn't.

"Well, you better take it easy. You are on break right now, Yuzu," she advised, "don't think of what's ahead so much and focus on what's happening right now."

He gave his sister a half-smile, and headed to the dining room for breakfast.

The young man went to school all dressed and prepared for the day. He had taken his sister's advice and decided to only focus on today, and today was the day he could go hang out with his friends, and get to know the new girl that had invited him to the cafe.

Once he arrived at school, the usual gazes of admiration from his peers and his junior, as well as from his seniors were coming like a tidal wave. The girls were all head over heels for this definition of a dream guy that was rare to find. He was the gem that became the symbol of what was nothing other than savages of the boys in Tohoku High.

He looked down and gave a shy smile as he headed to his classroom, where he saw Misaki, sitting in her seat, earphones in and in a trance as she gazed out the window, not paying any attention to the world.

"Yuzuru-kun, good morning!" A girl greeted, followed by a few other people, and he replied with the same greeting. He sat in his seat, and he kept his gaze on his notebook, but taking several glances up to catch a glimpse at the girl in front of him, who was still immersed in whatever music she was listening to.

The moment the teacher came in was when she took off her earphones, and placed her phone under her desk and focused. As class began, she didn't even give a glance to anywhere else other than the board and her notebook.

-

As recess came, Misaki and her friends, Umi and Kiyoko had lunch together in the class room. They were joined with Shoya, Tadashi, and Yuzuru.

"Umi, what did you bring today?" Kiyoko asked.

Umi revealed a whole pack of neatly arranged food, along with a sweet drink she had brought along.