Artemis

Artemis felt light.

She tried to understand the darkness spread out in front of her, but it was easier said than done. Was she dreaming? Was she dead? Her wings shivered, and she stared at her talons. It seemed as if she was standing on nothing. She moved one, slightly, just to check that she could. From that movement, a faint blue ripple under her talons in the blackness appeared.

Her ear twitched, sensing a faint sound that echoed around her. Artemis hesitated for a moment before starting forward, ripples being all around her now. The necklace resting against her chest grew warmer with each stride. The sound came again, and she stopped in her tracks, whirling around.

"I know there's someone here with me. Show yourself."

"Very well."

The blackness around her slowly faded, being replaced with a dim purple forest, of all things. She took a step back, the ripples from her movements starting and fading into the grass. The air smelt sweet, which was a welcomed change from the Magicwing Prison. Trees swayed behind her, and she caught a dark shape move among them out of the corner of her eye.

She turned her head, blue eyes blinking into similar ones.

"You're Nightflier, aren't you?"

The black Nightwing nodded, a faint smile on her face. The purple accents of her scales flickering into a darker color every now and then. She was faintly translucent, for Artemis could see the glassy pond in front of them through her.

Artemis hesitated, narrowing her gaze at her. "What do you want with me?"

"You've met Scalebreaker." She said, exhaling softly. "He's telling the truth. Artemis..."

Artemis sat down, her wings loose at her sides as she pressed her talons to her temples.

"I understand it's a lot." Nightflier mumbled, sitting beside her. "But you and your brother must face who you are. Believe me when I say I wish things hadn't turned out the way they did-"

"Why now?" She hissed, wings shivering. "Why now?"

"Solar has to be stopped." Nightflier's voice wavered. "Years ago, there was a prophecy that foretold the rise of her power, and the end of it, by our descendants, an heir. I believe that is you. There is no other female."

"Our?"

"Have you ever wondered why Solar was so bent on going after you? Your fa-.. Scalebreaker, Geode, Solar and I. We all knew one another."

Artemis blinked at her, confusion clouding in her eyes. "...what?"

Nightflier stood, walking up to the pond. "We have a bad history. We made mistakes that lead us to here. She hates me and Scalebreaker, and for that, she's making you suffer."

Artemis faltered for a second, slowly making her way to Nightflier's side. For some reason, she wasn't startled by her reflection. She stared down at herself, but not herself at the same time. Black and grey scales replaced her oddly colored ones. Instead of having scattered silver scales on her back they were all the same. She tilted her head, just slightly, the purple hue on the scales of her jaw catching the light.

"I couldn't have dragonets." Nightflier said softly, Artemis looking at her. "Not at first. I was injured, by my mother in a fight for the throne." She moved her wing, revealing a jagged scar on her underbelly. "Scalebreaker wouldn't give up, though. He began searching for help. First on our island, then he found the Twins. The Magicwings. Little did he know they had just recently suffered from a horrible outbreak of some disease. The undead were now living. It was awful.. Their tribe was slowly dying. They agreed to help us, but in return.." She trailed off, and Artemis was shocked to see tears running down her face, darkening her scales.

"In return, they would experiment on us." She said. "Test out a cure."

"It worked, thank the Titans." Nightflier said, grabbing a talon full of grass with a wince.   "Despite it altering your appearance..."

"So I'm still alive?" She asked suddenly.

"You're in a dream like state. Your body is fighting off the infection rather slowly, but yes, you'll be okay."

Artemis sighed, deeply. "Please don't tell me I'll have to explain all of this to Apollo."

Nightflier smiled slightly. "We're talking as well, he'll know when he wakes up."

Nightflier gently brushed her wing with hers, Artemis wincing. This was.. like Nightflier said, a lot. After all this time.. Dreamcatcher and Blacktalon, even little Nightsong. Not even family. Prophecyteller.. She rubbed her face fiercely, turning back to the pond. No. Prophecy was still her sister, blood or not.

"So it's up to me, then." Artemis clasped her talons together, expression wavering.

"You'll know what to do." Nightflier said gently, rising to her feet. Artemis got up as well, a sudden wave of nausea coming over her and she stumbled. Nightflier caught her wing, concern flashing across her face.

"You're waking up." Nightflier said, as Artemis blinked rapidly. Thanks for stating the obvious. Bits and pieces of the forest were fading away now, being replaced by the inside of the cell. She groaned, doubling over with her wings over her head. One last stumble and she found herself pressed against the cell wall, staring into the silver bars.

"Artemis?" Apollo croaked from behind her, Artemis grimacing and turning to face Apollo-her brother. She still couldn't quite grasp it.

She lowered her voice, blue eyes piercing. "We have to get out of here."