Tempest

Tempest watched, in numb shock as Seaglass's sizzling scales smashed into the waves, his body disappearing beneath them with a soft sigh. And she just stared. And stared. Her limbs shook, and she could feel the hot tears running down her chin. But she didn't falter her hover. Not until a menacing hiss sounded from Snowfall's throat.

That hiss turned into a thundering cry. One of such rage, heartache, regret and bitterness that Tempest could feel her soul stirring.

Snowfall continued his cry of anguish, balling his talons and flaring his wings as frost swirled up them. He then lunged for the lead dragon, eyes slits and talons poised to kill. But the Lightingwing simply sneered and whirled around, nailing him in the chest and sending him sailing at his two comrades. The other Lightingwings quickly grabbed Snowfall, who's rage had died down to nothing but a soft whimper.

Tempest didn't jerk away as one of the others snatched her in their grip, only looking on solemnly as Snowfall hung his head and gave quiet sobs. Her happy demeanor was replaced by something much more dull, much more grim. The event of the day met her like a mountain to the face. What were they supposed to do now?

She glanced over at her friends, and even Potent had stopped struggling as ropes were wrapped around his once free tail and arms. His face was slack in shock. The sturdy material they were tying them up with had been wrapped around each Lightingwings neck before they used it to tie up Tempest and her friends.

"We're taking these six to the Queen." Hisses the leader, glaring at the dragonets with annoyance and a hint of sickening pleasure. "She'll decide their fate."

The other female tying up Artemis paused, looking at the leader. "What about..what about Ozone? And Sheer?"

Their lead dragon gave a dismissive flick of his tail. "Collateral damage." The quivering dragoness proved this to be wrong.

Tempest watched with a heavy heart as a strand of foul smelling rope was tied around her snout. But she didn't want to fight, anyway. From the looks of it, nobody else did either.

~~~~~~~~

Tempest's tired wings scraped the walls as she and her friends were led to seemingly inevitable death. She hoped the Queen might have a little mercy, but the charred russet walls of the place stated otherwise. The mostly dark grey palace was strangely empty, only filled sickly looking servants, guards, and a few skittish civilians. It was partially decorated, with gold lighting bolts hanging from the ceiling like a crazed spiderweb.

The cobblestone floors were dirty and neglected, years of fights and destruction evident in the grooves. Zap's palace was as bland as the ash-like trees in the outskirts of the Storm Kingdom. The rest of the trees were green and lively, yes, but their vibrancy was outweighed by all the grey. Even the sky was cloaked in a misty pebble color. Speaking of the trees, they looked remarkably tall. But, not nearly as tall as Zap's looming palace.

Zap's palace was nothing like the villages around it, due to Lightningwings cleverly building tree-house like structures in the branches of all their dead and living pine and maple trees. It wasn't their only way of shelter, though. Tempest counted nearly a couple hundred huts widespread across the territory.

But like the palace, it was still. Only filled with neighbors, family and friends walking or flying alongside one another. Not like the hustle and bustle Tempest was used to seeing. The whole kingdom was dull and depressing. Being snapped into reality by a fierce jab to her side, Tempest's head shot up in alarm at the scene before her.