Mamba

Mamba shrunk back as Queen Glory flared her wings in rage, snapping at Artemis for being gone so long.

"I have already let Kinkajou and Moonwatcher slip through my talons." She roared. "You are my subject, how am I supposed to protect you when you're gone for nearly TWO WEEKS? WITHOUT TELLING ME?"

Artemis flattened her ears against her head as Glory went on.

"I think that's enough, Glory." Clay said, nudging her red wing with his snout after she finished yelling. "She's learned her lesson."

Glory's nostrils flared, and she settled her scales to be a plain teal and orange. "Don't think I'm going to let you go to the Twin Islands now." She said calmly.

Mamba flared her ruff, making it bright orange; so it was obvious she upset and irritated.

But that's not fair! Her mind shot, we NEED to go to the Twin Islands. We're the only ones who can stop that Solar dragon!

"Queen Glory- your majesty-" she began, but Glory just shook her head and sighed.

"I'm sorry, no."

Potent shuffled back from the group and Mamba glanced at him, confused. What is he doing? She wondered.

"Thank you anyways, your majesty." Artemis said softly and dipped her head, disappointment clouding her eyes. "Let's go, you guys." She nodded to the exit.

Slowly, the others followed. Potent was bristling. Seaglass was glum. Snowfall was confused. Everybody was in a bad mood, overall. But as soon as they were as far as the next hallway, Potent's wings suddenly jumped up and he shoved them into a cave as they passed, sending them all tumbling into instruments.

Seaglass' head got stuck inside a drum, and his laughs reverberated off the carved inside walls.

"What was that all about?" Mamba snapped, flashing red and black zigzags through her wings at Potent as she got to her talons and helped Artemis escape from a tangle of strings. The Sandwing snorted a cloud of smoke, something like an amused expression on his face.

"We couldn't let them hear what I'm about to say. So obviously, I found us somewhere private." He spat, flicking his barbed tail. Snowfall narrowed his eyes, stepping back.

"You don't mean-" he started.

"We're sneaking out." Potent said, and Artemis growled at him.

"You know what Queen Glory said." She argued, her teeth flashing at him.

"It doesn't matter!" Potent ruffled the frill on his neck, scowling deeper. "You all were thinking it anyway. I just said and acted on it first." He finished as Seaglass nodded in agreement, the drum still stuck on his head. "We have to go to the Twin Islands. The prophecy says so. Now I don't care if every queen in Pyhrria is mad at us. This is what we have to do. It's our duty for being part of this."

Seaglass snickered. "You said duty."

Mudpuddle and Tempest both laughed.

"Shut up." He said under his breath, giving Mamba an annoyed look. The Rainwing has to admit she was shocked. She never expected him to take charge like that. Nicely done, Sandwing.

"Are we really going to sneak off?" Snowfall said.

"Of course we are." Mamba blurted, and Potent widened his eyes in surprise.

Two can play that rebellious game, pretty boy. She thought with satisfaction.

"But Mamba-" Artemis started.

"Look, guys. Like Potent said...We have no choice." She jabbed a gold talon at the ground. "Whatever Queen Solar is planning can't be stopped with us here. We know where the doors are, we have a map. And a prophecy. What are we waiting for?"

"What are we waiting for..?" Mudpuddle echoed.

Artemis raised her head and met her friends eyes, sighing deeply. "I guess...You're right..." She agreed. Treasure, who was still rooted on her back, squeaked appreciatively. Tempest beamed, her sharp white teeth flashing.

"This is so exciting!" She exclaimed.

"Keep it down." Snowfall scolded, now trying to pull the drum from Seaglass' head. "We can't have anyone hearing about this."

With a pop, Seaglass' head suddenly came free. The force of Snowfall's pull sent him, Seaglass, and the drum flying backwards. The Icewing and Seawing toppled over one another until Snowfall stuck out his wings and stopped. The pale green Seawing was splayed out across his chest, his snout inches away from Snowfall's own. Mamba saw furious blushing from both of the dragonets as they held each other's gaze, until finally Seaglass pulled back and helped up Snowfall.

Potent cleared his throat, and Mamba turned to the Sandwing.

"What now, bossy?" She asked him, flicking her head back and flashing swirls of emerald, violet, and azure blue through her scales and frill like a dazzling peacock.

Potent stared at her, flustered. Mamba smirked at his puzzlement, finding herself amused at his expression.

"We leave..?" Mudpuddle offered. Artemis gave the Mudwing a grateful look but shook her head.

"Not yet. We need supplies." Artemis said, shifting her starry wings. "But I know just where to get them." She smiled at Mudpuddle. "You get the food and water?" She asked her, and Mamba swore she saw the Mudwing jump a few feet in delight. Without a word, Mudpuddle rushed from the room, now muttering things like certain types of fruit. Mamba wrinkled her snout, flicking Artemis with her tail.

"And my task?"

Her friend shoved her playfully. "Can you find us all bags?"

Mamba tossed her head, prideful colors washing out the fading blues and greens. "Of course I can!" She exclaimed, trotting off to go find some satchels and bags.

"Be stealthy!" Artemis whisper yelled as Mamba left the cave.

One step ahead of you. She thought as her scales mixed into dull greys Browns and tans to match the mountain halls. Vanishing instantly, Mamba set off to find what she was relied on. Then they'd finally be free. I can't wait to kick Solar's shiny butt. She seethed in her head as she turned a corner.

Little did she know the Daywing queen was watching and listening intently through a golden globe, her ears perked at every detail mentioned. Ready. Waiting, for them to arrive so she could end the silly nonsense about the new prophecy.