The Host ¤ The Next Chapter: 46

Song - Simple and Clean (Techno Remix) - Nightcore

May

I couldn't believe what I just heard. Wipe out the entire human race? All of them? And then...just raise them like minature dolls trained to do what they wanted? A world like that might be peaceful, but it would be wrong. The amount of innocent lives and blood shed would never make up for the sins of a perfect society built on lies. I had to stop Kay, no, this monster before he could carry out his plans.

I looked to Jenny. She raised her head to look at me. She was just as disturbed as I was. We both knew what would have to happen. I had hoped we could avoid any violence, but what these men were suggesting would kill many more lives than we would today. Her hand gripped the stun gun she'd grabbed. All she had to do was flick a switch to set it to the injuring range, or possibly, the kill range. However, her hand was shaking. I drew my real gun, the kind Seekers used to take down humans with bullets. I had her memories of Kay, but I knew they weren't mind. The emotions only slightly influenced how I felt. Since separating from Jenny however, I'd developed myself as my own person. I could think and feel for my own. Right now, I didn't see Kay. I could only see the monster that was controlling him. While his back was turned, I aimed and prepared to fire.

A shot rang out, but it wasn't mine. Jenny had nicked his right leg, causing him to lose balance and collapse to the ground. Kay's hands squeezed his injured leg in pain. Jared, Ian, Kyle, and Taylor quickly covered the other counselmen, pointing their stun guns at them. I saw Kay's hand move towards his jacket, probably to set of a silent alert. I pointed my gun at him. 

"If you don't want to lose your hand, you'll set the alarm on the ground." I told him, drawing closer.

Kay laughed, "Says the one who couldn't shoot me." he taunted, "And I bet you won't this time either."

"I might not," I said, but Jenny joined my side, "But she will."

Kay frowned and withdrew his hand. He set the black box on the ground. I'd caught him before he could even push the glass aside to trigger the red button. I kicked the silent alarm aside so it slid across the room. 

"It looks like you've run out of options." I said.

"What are you going to do?" he countered, obviously unhappy we'd cornered him.

¤

"Is that everything we need to do?" I asked Skyfall as he stood in the center of the counsel room.

His hands effortlessly glided across the holographic screen. I was glad he'd caught up with us now. I had no idea how to work this technology. It would have made altering all the decrees harder. No doubt, the news media was frantically trying to keep up with the demands of the new rules as they sat on screen, reading each new change to the law.

"Almost." he said.

I nodded and walked away. The guys had rounded up the counsel members in one place. Each had their arms and legs bound so they couldn't run away. Kay was tied up with double the amount of cuffs, just to be on the safe side. It was a good thing the guys had desguised themselves as guards after all.

I placed my hand on Jenny's shoulder. She was one of the ones assigned to watch over them---not by orders but because she wanted to.

"Don't worry." I said as she watched her brother scowl, "We're going to get your real brother back."

She nodded sullenly.

"What are we going to do with the rest after we all remove them from their hosts?" she asked, "Send them to random planets, like usual?"

"No." I shook my head, "We don't want them forming a resistance. Most likely, we'll put them into the pods and into cold storage for the rest of their days. I don't think it'll reform them, but at least they won't cause trouble for the new world."

I left Jenny to her task and joined Taylor by his side. He was standing off, watching everyone doing their assignments. Jenny, Jesse, Kyle, and Sunny remained watching the counselmen. The two other couples, Wanda and Ian, Melanie and Jared, watched over the group. 

"What are we going to do after all of this is done?" Taylor asked me.

"Try to rebuild." I said and watched the others with him. I leaned up against the wall with my back, "Oh," I chirped and looked at him, "You meant us." I leaned in close to him, "We'll live our happily ever after." I said right before our lips met.