The Host ¤ The Next Chapter: 39

May

"Who...who are you people? What do you want from me?" A girl begged as she was pulled into the main cavern by Tomas and Jesse.

Both brothers looked like they were about to rip the next person's face off. I couldn't blame them. I had wanted to do the same thing to myself a dozen times before. The girl's mouth only stopped working when she saw me and then Jeb with his shotgun. Mainly, she saw me. Her eyes scanned the white outfit I was wearing and knew that I was a Seeker.

"May?" She asked, but didn't give me a chance to speak. "What are you doing here? I heard you transfered! Why are you wearing Seeker's clothes? Who are these humans? What do they want to do with me?" She paused again as two men checked in with Jeb, saying they got the supplies from the girl's car. They carried them away to Doc's place. "What are they doing with the medical supplies?" She asked next. "Why are you here...?"

"Blossom?" I stopped her by speaking her name softly.

She blinked, "What?"

"Shut up." I sighed.

"Oh." she mouthed.

I looked to Tomas and Jesse who looked like they were just begging me to ask if they could leave her in the desert. Unfortunately for them, we couldn't.

"Take her to Whitney and have her explain everything to her." I ordered.

Jeb didn't correct me, so they hurried off with Blossom to drop her off as fast as they could. Only I, and now the boys, knew that Whitney had the patients to talk the girl out of her countless questions.

It didn't take a word between either one of us to know where to head next. I went directly to Doc's to see if the medicine had arrived on time. Jeb followed me.

When we arrived at the center, Skyfall was still laid out upon the smooth, silver table. The white jacket that also served as a shirt had been taken off of him so that the Heal could work effectively. Meanwhile, Doc focused on setting up the blood transfusion. He already had the stand up and the blood bag attatched. All that was left to do was plunge the needle in a vein and hoped everything went okay.

Skyfall himself was somewhat conscious. He tried to lift his head up when he heard the plastic flap that acted as a door crinkle as Jeb and I entered. Doc calmly pushed his head back down so he wouldn't get a head rush from trying to sit up too quickly. I came to him so he wouldn't try it again. Jeb hovered nearby.

"How are you feeling?" I asked out of concern as I stood near the operation table.

"Fine..." he sighed, but he didn't sound all there, "Fine...now that you're here..." the seeker said, the hand nearest to me reaching out to try and take mine.

Reflexively, I pulled my hand back before he could. I looked at Doc.

"I gave him some alchohol for the pain." he explained.

I nodded and looked down at his patient. The Seeker didn't appear to be getting better, but that was probably because of the toxins in his system from whatever Doc had fed him.

"It hurts." Skyfall muttered.

I wasn't sure if he meant his body or his heart.

I nodded and agreed. "You'll get better." I soothed him. "Doc gave you some Heal. You're all patched up. Just try and survive the transfusion."

Skyfall nodded like me and closed his eyes as the needle was inserted into his arm. Doc stepped back after he had made sure he had hit a vein. The drip began to work, feeding his body new blood. I had to remember to thank Blossom later.

A soft blip went off. At first I thought I had been hearing things. Then I looked at Jeb and Doc the third time it went off. They appeared as baffled as I was.

"What is that?" I asked to particularly no one.

"My pen." the Seeker replied, working his mouth as the pain flared.

"What?" I blinked, then asked, "Where is it?"

"My pocket." he replied, but his head turned towards the bloodied Seeker's jacket that was flung on a nearby cot.

I followed his line of sight over to the breat pocket. There was a single pen jutting its silver head out. I walked over and plucked it out. The top of the "pen" was flashing with a tiny light. I suppose it was some sort of alert. It didn't stop blinking, so I tried clicking it, like pens were meant to be. The light stopped flashing and a holographic interface jutted out of the pen's side. There was multiple little articles and paragraphs, but one stuck out to me. I spun around to the two humans who had been waiting for me to speak.

"Gather everyone you can." I told them. "We've got one last raid to pull off."