Be Careful What You Wish For

Kazuto paced back and forth, in the waiting room, after being bandaged. 'I could have died! She could have killed us both! I could never have imagined the conflicts between both worlds. I never thought the system would be used like that. That woman said she could control both worlds. Is she really Varina's mother? I can't see that being the case. What do they intend to do? Anyone could be fighting dirty and we would never be the wiser. How many have to die? This was supposed to be a great break through. I was supposed to be able to see that Yui came to our world. People always have a way of taking a good thing and making it terrible. If we don't play, what happens to all the victims of SAO? We can't just abandon them! If our gear can turn itself on then...' His mind kept on the loop for hours.

Vari came over to him, snapping him out of his thoughts. "Kazuto..."

He turned to face her. "Are you okay?"

"I think so... "

"Come, let's get something to eat. Without our Augmas, this time."

She nodded slightly.

Kazuto couldn't remember a time, when he saw her, this disheartened.

"The cut on my shoulder... it was inflicted by a sword from the game... how is that even..."

"I don't know. But I think they are using real world objects..." Kazuto didn't know what to say to cheer her up, so he just remained silent.

"No one has access to this game... How could they... I mean..." Vari started to cry, despite her best efforts to stay strong. "What is going to happen to daddy... and Renri...?"

"We will just have to rescue them." Kazuto extended his hand.

She stared at him in a bliss.

Kazuto placed his hand on her shoulder. "We'll stop them, okay."

She leaned herself against his chest and cried. "Okay..."

_________________________________

Kazuto and Varina followed the only clue, they had. Her Father's office building.

Kazuto entered it first, allowing Vari to follow, close behind. "It's better if we scope things out without using our Augmas."

"But how will we know when we see Renri?"

"I doubt he will be here. We are looking for your father. Augma or not, he should be clearly visible." They continued down the desolate halls, but found nothing. They heard sirens coming from the driveway. Before they knew it, they were surrounded by police.

"Put your hands in the air!" The officer warned, with their guns trained on Kazuto and Varina.

Varina didn't move, due to shock. Kazuto immediately raised them and turned around when ordered to do so.

"Both of you!" The officer continued.

Varina had a fresh layer of tears in her eyes, as she finally did what she was told.

"You are under arrest for breaking and entering!"

Their faces froze in horror.

Kazuto quickly declared, "We aren't trespassing. We were here, looking for someone, who might be in mortal danger."

"Get down on your knees! Now!"

Things happened so fast and before they knew it, they were shoved into cop cars and taken down to the station.

_________________________________

Kazuto and Varina sat in silence awaiting their release... hopefully. They could hear the tick of every minute go by on the clock. If they left, they would surely be thrown in jail. But every minute they stay, was another minute counting against Vari's family. They watched the police pass them by. They were clearly, not the men coming to let them go.