Chapter 44: Saying Goodbye

Eight Months Later

I was in my room packing. Tomorrow was the day that I leave for college. I looked around my room and sighed. I was going to miss this room. I'm going to miss this house but most of all I'm going to miss my family.

I really didn't want to leave my family, but the college that I'm going to was thousands of miles away. Josh and I were not going to the same college. We weren't even going to be in the same city. Every time I think about it, I feel disheartened. I'm going to miss him so much. My friends and I were going to the same college in New York and Josh was going to a college in California.

Josh had applied to California College of the Arts and also Colombia University in New York, but he didn't receive a call from Columbia University. I had applied to Brooklyn University. We didn't want to stop the dreams of the other, so we didn't have a choice but to attend the college we got accepted into. So as much as we both didn't like the idea of being miles apart, it had to happen. I was leaving tomorrow and he was leaving in a week.

It was now 1pm and I had just finished packing. Josh had suggested we go out today, being that it's the last day we were going to see each other. I got into the bathroom and took a quick shower. I got out and got dressed in a cream coloured sundress with purple and yellow flowers and slipped on my brown sandals. Josh texted me that he was outside, so I grabbed my bag and my keys and left the house.

I met Josh in my driveway and we went for lunch and now he was taking me to our spot. It was the place that he took me to that first time and we have been going there ever since, so I have resorted to calling it 'our' spot. When we got there, we went to sit on the bench under the big tree. We talked and laughed for a while, then I realized that Josh became quiet.

"You've gotten quiet. What's up?" I asked nudging his shoulder to get his attention.

Josh looked down at me and smiled, but the smile didn't reach his eyes. "I'm just thinking."

"About what?" I pressed.

"About what it's going to be like without you." He said with a sigh. I nodded my head and looked out into the distance. I know what he means, but there's nothing we can do about it. Even though I was sad, I had to face reality.

I turned to him and looked into his eyes. "I know what you mean. It's going to be hard without you too." I took his hand in mine. "But there is always Christmas holidays and summers, plus we can video call when we can."

He looked down at our clasp hands. "I know, but I'm really going to miss you, Cupcake." He met my eyes as he continued. "I'm going to miss hugging you, kissing you, touching you, seeing your beautiful laugh when you get excited."

"I'm going to miss you too, Josh. So much." I expressed.

"I can't believe the summer is over already and you'll be leaving tomorrow. The thought of you being over two thousand miles away, kills me."

"I know." I sighed. We stay quiet for a while, both of us lost in our own thoughts.

"Come on, let's enjoy whatever time we have together and let's not spend it sulking." He took my hands and we stood up.

"You're right. So where are we going?" I asked. A mischievous smile spread across his face and he winked.

"Skinny dipping."

*~*~*

It was the next day and I was at the airport with my family and Josh. Stacy and Sam were here as well saying goodbye to their parents. I had just hugged my mom and dad and now I stoop down and hugged my little brother.

"Bye little man. Be good for Mom and Dad." I said pulling back from the hug and ruffled his hair.

"I will." He looked up at me as a single tear ran down his cheeks. "I'm going to miss you, Lexie."

"I'm going to miss you too." I gave him a sad smile. "Don't worry, you're going to see me soon. Okay?"

"Okay." He answered and I hugged him again. I pulled away and walked over to Andrew.

"See you, big brother."

"See you little sister." We looked at each other for a moment, before we both burst out laughing. After we caught our breaths, I hugged my brother tight.

"Take care of yourself, Lexie." Andrew said patting my back.

"You too." I replied. He pulled away and gave me a serious look.

"Call me if you need anything or if you have any problem at all." He said.

"I will." I gave him a smile and turned away from him. I walked over to Josh, who stood to the side with both hands in his jacket pockets.

He removed his hands and opened them wide when I stepped forward. I walked into his embrace and he held me tight. We stood in each others embrace for a minute before Josh pulled away. Before I could say anything, he pulled me into a searing kiss. Not caring that my parents were standing a few feet away, I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back.

We broke the kiss and I smiled up at him. My arms still wrapped around his neck and his on my waist. "I'm really going to miss you baby."

"I'm going to miss having you around too." I chuckled. I unwrapped my hands from his neck and used one of my hands to stroke his cheek.

"Have a safe trip." He said. He placed his hands on the one on his cheek and wrapped it around my small ones. He then removed my hands and kissed my palm. "I love you, Lexie."

"I love you too, Josh." I gave him another kiss. I then looked around at my friends and saw that they had finished saying their goodbyes and was waiting on me. It was time to go. I looked back at Josh. "Bye babe." I said as I stepped away from him, his hand still holding mine. As I turned away, he let go of my hand and I walked over to my friends.

We all wave to our families one last time before we walked from the departure longue and head to security. We left security and went to find our gate, so that we can board our plane.

****************************
AN: Hey y'all!

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter ❤

Much love!

~Alecia