Chapter 32: A lot

The morning light flows into the room, kissing Kali's skin as she stirs in her sleep, Dakki's arms wrapped tightly around her waist as she squirms, her eyebrows knitted.

The night's events swallow her dreams, replaying over and over as her body heats up. The blood, the smell of rotting iron, the screams and acceptance in Fern's eyes as he took her life.

A scream pierces through the air as Kali lurches up in the bed, her arms flailing around as a hit lands on her bed partner's face, smacking him awake. He flings himself up on the mattress, grabbing her arms to her side as he holds her to him.

"Shh," he whispers huskily into her hair, her sobs ripping out of her as tears run down her cheeks. "You're safe, I've got you."

"I couldn't save her," Kali cries out, her words garbled as she sniffles hard. "I failed her, she sacrificed herself for me."

"In the end you saved her people from further death," his tone is low as he rubs her back. "

She looks up at him, her deep, purple eyes blurred as another tear stains her cheek. "Dakki, I don't remember anything, what happened? Did I... did I do that to him?"

"Do you regret doing it?" He cups her cheek with his hand, rubbing her tears away with his thumb.

"I regret..." she bites her bottom lip, trembling slightly as she thinks it though. "Not killing him sooner."

"Does that scare you? To me..." he tilts her chin up a little, his gaze soft as he looks her over. "I've never been more proud of you."

"Proud that I slaughtered someone?" She grins a little, but her heart still weighs heavily in her chest. 

"Proud that you protected yourself, and proud that you showed what you're truly capable of." He leans down a little, his lips inches from her own. Kali's heart races in her chest as she looks up at her best friend, eyes trailing all over his features.

She raises her own hand, thumb trailing across the freckles dotting his smooth, warm skin. "Dakki, I think something is wrong with me."

"Nothing is wrong with you," He smiles a little as he moves even closer, his hot breath tickling her lips. "You're perfect the way you are..."

The door swings open, Mara and Cana walking in as their heels click against the tiled flooring. Dakki and Kali push away from each other, turning quickly to look at the others.

"Good morning, Cana," Kali smiles, eyes looking over the elegant woman in the doorway.

"Good morning, Kali," Cana's voice is sweet like honey as she beams at the younger girl, eyebrow raising when she notices Dakki in the bed beside her. "And good morning, sir."

"As usual, the freak ignores–" Mara walks around Cana, freezing in place as her eyes land on her red-haired lover. "What?"

"Don't worry, I'll head out. I was just keeping an eye on her for the night, Fae had to heal her after..." He trails off, not sure what to say.

"I fell down some stairs, but I'm all healed and better now. He wanted to make sure I was ok." Kali smiles gently, looking to Dakki before gesturing to the door. "You can go, they can take care of me now."

"She'll be good in my care," Cana smiles, making Dakki nod thankfully.

"Alright," he moves from the covers, climbing from the bed. His bare chest and tight muscles make Cana shift her view away as the other two girls open their eyes wider. He's only wearing his underwear, the fabric not leaving much to the imagination as they look fuller than usual.