Chapter 12: Nightmares

TW: Blood& Gore, Murder, Death. 

------------------------------------------

Fae's room is covered in knick knacks of all kinds. Charms, totems, herbs, and potions. Everything is covered in plants and growing buds, blooming flowers. But over her body there is a dark aura, a heaviness weighing in her mind that even her dreamcatcher, blessed by the previous priestess, can't protect her from.

She twists and turns in her sleep, restless as soft tears slide down her cheeks. Her mind reliving her darkest memory, the one that has made her life harder every second, every hour since it happened.

THAT night. The night she lost everything, the night she lost the person who was everything to her.

𖤓𖤓𖤓

"Cenaaaa!" A younger, concerned Fae calls out, walking with purpose into the throne room of the Dragon Kingdom- Sunoh. Her curls flow around her face, her hair falling just above her shoulders in perfectly tight curls. Her brown eyes widen as she sees her friend, the Queen, sitting on her throne, flipping through a very used book.

"What are you reading?" She asks, tilting her head as she observes the rough molding of the pages.

"First, my friend, what did you come in here to tell me?" Cena smiles up at her, her light brown eyes gleaming at her. Her face is heart shaped and soft, her straight brown hair framing her face in her signature bob.

"Oh, yeah, I can't find Kali. Did she go off into the woods again with the boys?" Fae asks quickly, wringing her hands tightly. She hadn't seen Kali in a couple of hours, and with the ceremony for the child's engagement tonight it has been sending her into a panic.

"She did, she wanted to play a little before the event." Cena nods and looks back down at the book in her hands. "Don't worry about her, she will be back before the time required."

"Your highness, the sun will fall soon, is it ok for her to be out there?"

"She has Dyne's son glued to her side. There is never any worry." She does a quick glance up again from her reading, smiling to ease the worry on Fae's face.

Fae smiles softly back and nods, "Dakki has grown to be a good kid, hasn't he? He'll be an excellent soldier, just like his father."

Cena nods in response, "That is for sure. I'm worried for tonight, however. This engagement has been arranged since their conception, but I'm not so sure of Kali's future... mate." She rolls her shoulder and cracks her neck a little, the thought disturbing her once she says it out loud.

"Why is that, my Queen?" Fae tilts her head, shifting her weight a little as she ponders the thought herself.

"Darkness is in his blood. And on a night like tonight, a moment that should be bright, it is as dark as his abilities. It worries me, my friend. I feel like something is going to happen or go wrong."

"You're thinking too much. It's hard to give over a child, it's only your nerves. Everything will go perfectly, and our Kingdom will have a proper Prince and Princess." Fae says what she knows she should, but she can feel the mood in Cena's words, and can tell where she is going with this.

"His father is Zova, Fae." Cena sighs, closing the book. She lifts it up and waves it a little. "Do you remember when we were young, Fae? I mean, really young. When our kind... came into being. I wrote in this journal every day, I wrote down the start of this kingdom, the start of the world as we know it now."

"I remember those days, but where are you going with this?" Fae bites her lip.

"Zova tried to take the throne. He wanted it, but he also has always had that darkness in him. Fae, I feel like something is wrong. When Zova and Tera backed down all those centuries ago, when Kae and I earned the throne... it felt all too... I don't know, it wasn't in his personality then and it's not in his personality now. It felt weird to me when he made the arrangement. When the time came for us to give birth to heirs, for them to be engaged to be married. Giving my first born to his... It seems too... simple."