Chapter 7: New Friends in the Present

"What do we need to grab?" Kali asks Tate, her hands clasped behind her back as they walk through the town center. A dark green sweater is wrapped tightly around her body, her pants tucked at the ankles into her black boots.

Colorful buildings and flags surround them, the air getting nicer and crisp as it inches closer to winter, the fall breeze finally setting in. Tate looks over at her, chuckling a little at the sight of her bundled up while he sports his short sleeved guards attire.

"How can you wear that in this weather? It's still too hot when moving around." He smiles at her, nudging her a little with his shoulder. He's started to take a liking to her, appreciating her company as she helps him with his chores. The last couple of weeks she's been by his side at every possible chance to go into the towns or villages.

"You didn't answer my question," she nudges him back. "What are we getting for Veit today? What's on the menu for the week? I'm hoping for some meat or soups." She tilts her head to the side, looking at the decorative scenery around them as they walk down the streets. Countless stalls are open with all kinds of fish, spices, and vegetables on show. Her stomach grumbles a little and Tate gives her another knowing smile.

"We'll order some veal, deer, and fish. Veit is prioritizing them for the coming days. And on the way back, to say thank you for coming with me, I can buy you some bread rolls. Would you like that?"

She smiles widely back at him, her teeth shining brightly and her fangs gleaming. He still flinches slightly when he sees them, but he's gotten more used to it, especially when she gives such a soft, excited expression with them. "Really? Bread rolls? Yes! Can we go to that bakery with the older woman?"

"Of course, she has the best in town." He pats her on the head as they continue walking, "so you didn't answer, do you just get cold really easily? I suppose it makes sense, there's not much fat on you."

She shrugs, "with my kind... we really don't like the cold."

"Ah, that's right. Aren't you close to lizards or something? Can you shapeshift?" He cocks his head a little.

She laughs a warm, cheery sound that can't help but make him show his deep dimples to her. "We are nothing like lizards! Well..." she pauses, "Ok, I guess we kind of are. We can't stand the cold and we do have scales in our true forms. And yes, we have our true forms, but we prefer to be in this form. It's not too practical to live so... largely."

"That's awesome!" He pats her on the back, his white hair falling a little into his eyes as he stops walking to look down at her. "Can I ride on your back sometime? Can you fly?"

"I can't turn into it," she bites her lip, looking away. "I'm too young, we can't turn until we are at our age of maturity. And I mean, I don't even really know what my powers are. I've never gotten anything to work." She keeps on walking, gesturing for him to follow. "That's not true... I've gotten my powers to work once before."

"What was the power you had?" He asks curiously, walking back up next to her, their feet crunching on the small rocks of the road.

"It's actually why Dakki is the way he is." People walk past, eyes always lingering on her eyes and hair when they're out. A breeze moves past and she wraps her arms around herself.

"You mean why he's mentally ill?" Tate's eyes widen. "Did you like... skewer him or something?"

"Pshhh... hahaha!" She bends over, laughing harder than she expected to. "Dakki's mental illness? Oh my god, I have to tell him that you just said that."

"Wait, is that not it?? No, no, you can't tell him! I thought it was something wrong with his head!'' His voice is panicked as he puts his hands on her arm, eyes pleading. "He's going to beat me if you tell him!"