Chapter 9: The Exam And The Misunderstanding.

"Get ready." Baelor yelled loud enough so Elara heard him. Suddenly, a Monster Summoning Circle appeared on the ground, similar to the scanner at the gate, but this one bigger and glowing a golden color. A monster similar to a wolf from Alex's previous universe, just bigger, stood on it. The Monster Summoning Circle disappeared and the wolf-like creature launched itself towards Elara, closing the distance between them in less than 3 seconds. Alex paled at the creature's speed, scared that something could happen to his only friend.

"Don't worry." Elara told Alex telepathically and made Alex's perception of time speed up, because she wanted to show off, obviously. She grabbed the spear and threw it at the monster. The spear traveled fast enough to almost create a vapor cone, and yet, to Elara's surprise, the creature dodged and the spear flew towards Alex. Fortunately, Baelor grabbed the spear before it hit Alex and put it away. She had underestimated the monster's strength, mainly because she didn't analyze it and was instead thinking about visiting the different food shops in the capital. As the monster jumped at her, she moved aside and, in almost an instant, drained the whole arena of Xen, using it to simultaneously send a concentrated beam of gamma rays straight through the monster's brain. The beam, after piercing through the monster's head, hit the barrier previously set by Baelor, which glowed in that area until it absorbed the attack completely. Throughout the entire confrontation, Elara's face was blank, except the single moment when the monster dodged the spear. As the monster fell to the ground, she allowed Alex to see time at a normal rate again.

"Wh-what the hell...? T-that was an F rank monster?" Alex asked under his breath, seeing the monster lying dead on the ground. Baelor chuckled lightly at Alex's words before clapping to congratulate Elara.

"Nope, kid. That was a Black-Furred Elanr, a healthy adult male at that. It's more of a B- rank, maybe B temporarily if you let it break its limit. I do have to admit, I didn't expect that girl to defeat it so quickly." Baelor said, throwing the spear back to Elara.

"Do you know what attack she used? I didn't see anything and the Elanr just suddenly had a hole through his head." Baelor added, now looking at Alex.

"I have no idea." Alex responded, at which Baelor shrugged and looked back at Elara.

"Guess I'll have to ask later." Baelor said.

"You want another, stronger monster to fight or are you satisfied with a B- rank?" Baelor yelled the question to Elara, at which she nodded and her face looked more determined than earlier.

"Another." Elara yelled back a simple answer, making Baelor smirk a little. A new Monster Summoning Circle appeared, this time a humanoid creature stood in front of Alex. The monster this time was a Fire Spirit. The Spirit's hands and legs were on fire, hotter than the surface of the Sun. The only reason Alex, Baelor and the arena itself were unharmed is because of Baelor, or more specifically, the barriers he put up.

The Spirit suddenly changed its body into pure fire and heated it up, causing itself to move forward at an insane speed, getting dangerously close to Elara in just shy of 2 seconds. Elara realized that the spear would be useless as the tungsten arrowhead liquefied almost immediately as soon as the heat hit it after the Spirit's transformation. She quickly sped up her own perception of time, allowing her to analyze the situation and make the best decision. After analyzing the Spirit, she found out that the flames were used to radiate the Fire Spirit's excess Xen. The Fire Spirits would normally have an overflowing storage of Xen within their bodies, and letting it stay inside them would cause them to explode, destroying themselves as well as the surrounding area. Some towns were destroyed like this, as some of the Spirits of this race were willing to sacrifice themselves, just to cause destruction. Elara thought about pouring literal tons of water on this Spirit, knowing that it would probably just turn the water into steam, which, due to the extreme pressure and heat, would cause an explosive reaction. She knew that the barriers Baelor put up were strong enough to survive it with ease, but she wanted to show off to Alex a bit, to remind him who was better. Basically, she wanted to boost her ego. She could easily kill the Spirit and just move on, but then it wouldn't be as effective in showcasing her superiority over Alex.