Chapter 18

Bee's POV:

My eyes flashed open at the sound of a metallic clang.

I stumbled as I tried to get up, feeling a strange drowsiness that wanted to drag me down.

I sat on my haunches for a moment to clear my head.

"She's awake." A familiar female alien whispered.

I looked around and saw that I was in what looked like a small futuristic pet carrier. I was facing the side that was opened to the exact same place where Tethys had found me: the mang-nut grove near the west gate.

"It's alright, little fire lizard. Take your time." Tethys said from somewhere behind the carrier.

His voice was calm and soothing, something that was weird to hear from an alien stranger.

I turned my attention back to the mang-nut trees and a sudden jolt went through me when I remembered why we went here in the first place.

Colonel was still hurt. Even worse, he was dying. All of us who came back from the forest were hurt, but Colonel had the worst of it, and I had no idea if our plan to stop the bleeding even worked.

I tried to mind-link anyone from the flock, but the only response I heard back was an empty echo.

My guess was that it was caused by whatever drugs that woman, Marna, gave me.

I took a few minutes to breathe and get my vision straight. It's not exactly advisable to fly between wibbly-wobbly trees and dancing bushes. Not to mention that you shouldn't sleep and fly.

I stood up, and as soon as I had my wits about me, I bolted without even looking back.

I had to get back to the flock as soon as possible. Back to him.

I flew over the road without a second thought and straight into the thicker foliage of the park.

My heart was beating a million times a minute, and my eyes had trouble keeping tears out of them. If anybody asks, it's because of the wind.

Please be alright.

I chanted in my head without even realizing it at first. I didn't even notice the now healed scar on my side hurting from all the sudden activity so soon after fixing it. It would be sore later, but for that moment it wasn't important enough to really hold my attention.

Bee? You're b- GUYS! Bee is back! The green dragonet Sarah jumped out of the treetop.

I swerved left to avoid colliding with her and we kept flying, more excited dragonets joining us.

Is everyone alright? How's Colonel? I asked, hope filling my eyes and yet, scared out of my mind.

It felt like my heart stopped when they all simultaneously got very quiet, sharing looks with each other that spoke words that didn't travel by mind-link. Looks that seemed nervous.

Come on, we will take you there. A purple dragonet gestured with his head.

They changed our path of flight slightly. We were still heading towards the waterfall though, and I wasn't sure if it gave me hope or took it away.

Instead of going to the maze-like place where we were before, we flew over it and right to the falling water.

Seeing my worried expression, the green dragonet gestured towards the waterfall.

Down here.

We flew to the side of the waterfall and turned sharply to enter a space behind it.

The sight almost made me drop out of the air.

Colonel laid there, his wounds tightly wrapped in dark green leaves that were peeking out from under thick layers of cool mud covering his whole body.

I landed near him, briefly spotting Blue, Jerry and three other dragonets that I remembered to have some degree of medical training.

I let out a relieved breath, not having realized that I was holding one until I saw Colonel's chest rise with fresh air filling his lungs. I nearly sobbed before I quickly got a hold of myself and my pesky tears.

In the background, I heard someone explaining what they had been doing to help him. I wasn't paying too much attention to others, but I did hear bits and pieces.

... wax... dried too fast... couldn't get it to him... too unstable... mang-nut paste from... pressure... stopped bleeding... hip... cooled his body... strain on his heart... critical... survive the night...

I turned to look at Blue only to bump into him just as he was going for the best bear hug a dragonet could give.

I'm glad you are okay. Blue murmured into my mind as I sunk into the warmth and comfort of my chosen brother.

I pursed my wobbling lips and sniffed, trying to hold off the cry fest over everything that had happened and over the fear of what could still happen. It was starting to annoy me how much I had cried lately.

Because you are grounded until that purple dumbass gets back on his feet.