Chapter 4

Narrator POV:

I'm so sorry. I reacted. They know.

This was the last time they ever heard of her. Ember was gone.

Before they knew it, the scientists swarmed the room their cages were in.

Don't react to my voice. Colonel spoke into the general mind link. Don't let them know of our intelligence. Everybody, we need to agree on an animal behavior we are all going to act by, and we need to do it now.

The room was filled with hisses and growls for the humans rushing in.

Cat. I think that's the closest. Bee proposed while trying to swipe at a scientist in front of her cage.

Blue sent his agreement, followed by everyone else's.

What happens if we don't? A worried voice asked.

They will kill us. Colonel revealed the cold hard truth. In his mind, it was better to have them scared and safe than careless and dead.

Feeling the shock and the panic grow in their thirty-something flock, Bee decided to step in.

Just trust your instincts, we already act a lot like cats. All that changes is that we need to act like we don't understand them. And if you're in doubt, mind link us. Find some simple basic action to do, like lick your paw or scratch your ear, and contact us. We will get through this. We are all in this together.

Her words seemed to have worked. Their fear turned into determination to survive and the momentary panic transformed into unrivaled anger.

The humans had not only kidnapped them and taken their lives from them, but they had also taken the life of one of their own. The scientists had killed a dragonet, one of the First Four.

The whole room was restless and filled with unmistakably angry sounds. They didn't need to be intelligent creatures to know what had happened to Ember, they could smell it, and the humans knew this.

With pale faces and shaky hands, a group of tech guys put up cameras at every angle. The scientists tried to calm the upset dragonets by placing blankets over their cages, hoping to hide the scent of blood and the sight of humans.

The striped trio, however, weren't having it. They were in a frenzied state once the humans' deed had settled into their minds.

Surprisingly, Bee was the first to get out. She slammed into the front of her cage so hard, it fell to the ground and shattered the glass walls into a million tiny pieces.

All the humans froze. She was a deadly creature they had created for the battlefield and would surely kill several of them before they could subdue her, none of them wanted to be the unlucky few.

Bee slowly stepped out from under the mauve blanket that had fallen on her when the glass broke. The scientist closest to her moved his hand towards his pocket centimeter a minute.

Bee glared him in the eye and the man knew he had sealed his fate the day he had signed up for this inhumane project.

Bee bounced for his throat with a snarl and sunk her teeth in it. The force from her weight made them stumble into Blue's cage, shattering it and releasing him.

Right after that, Colonel got out too. He had slammed his body to the cage's glass door so hard it cracked open like an Easter egg.

That day, the three of them managed to kill 5 scientists before they got hit with drug darts and passed out still spitting out hisses for their fallen comrade.