Chapter 7

Bee POV:

Blue was right. The scientists kept taking only me and Colonel to the enclosure every day for about 8 or so hours and the whole time there were at least three scientists behind the observation glass.

Just because they expect us to do something, doesn't mean we have to do anything. Colonel told me. They can't force us.

It was embarrassing really. Once the initial worry calmed down, it turned into a kind of inside joke among the other dragonets.

On the third day, we figured we should give them something to write about. So far we had just occasionally flown around the enclosure to train the wing muscles and rested on the farthest ledge.

What would a natural next step be? I randomly asked Colonel.

We pretended to be asleep on our ledge to peacefully mind-link without raising any suspicion. They had cameras and microphones hidden everywhere. I discovered the latter when I heard them play a recording from when Colonel stopped me from flying headfirst into the glass panel.

I guess that would be nesting? He responded after a brief pause.

I 'woke up' and raised my head with a chirp. Let's build a nest then.

I must have surprised him 'cause his eyes flew open into wide saucers.

They're gonna get suspicious if we do nothing at all. Besides, even this ledge is too out in the open for my comfort and if we are stuck here every day for hours, let it at least be on our terms. I explained further while he sat up, listening intently.

Why didn't you tell me sooner that you're that uncomfortable? We could have done something about it earlier. He tilted his head, voice soothing but quiet with concern.

Oh, it's not that bad! It's just, now that I have gotten a bit more used to being in this room, I'm not that afraid of moving around in it. You know?

He agreed with a chirp, and so we got to work. We made a little show of sniffing around and slightly scratching things until we ended up in a hollow wooden box on the ground.

Of course. I barely resisted rolling my eyes at the sight. Guess what. Its bottom is covered in sawdust and feathers.

And cameras. He added while he stepped in and dug at the padding.

Where?

Right upper corner, facing away from the entrance.

I looked from the corner of my eye as I also moved the padding around with my paws, and there was one with a red light blinking right where he said it was.

Let's get rid of that. Play fight me.

What?

I didn't let him process my words before I pummeled into his side.

Now, the wooden box was already a tight fit for the two of us, so there wasn't much room to turn or jump or really do anything besides nesting. Which was actually perfect, since I didn't have to work very hard in that flurry of wings, retracted claws and playful growls in order to knock the camera down with my tail.

Okay. Okay, I got it! I cheered, which made us stop trying to wrestle in that ridiculously small 'nest'.

We had ended up with me pinned on my back and him laying across me.

I gotta stop creating situations where the answer results in this. I joked.

I don't know. He rolled onto his side with his head resting on my stomach and stretched with a smirk, pushing his paws under my jaw. I'm quite comfortable like this.

Get off. I pushed his paws away with a smile.

He promptly did as asked and chuckled under his breath.

Let me take care of that. Colonel turned to 'inspect' the camera. After sniffing it, he let out an ugly hiss and carried it out between his teeth. He flew to the highest branch, laid down and chewed on it to the point it was unsalvageable. To finish it off, he let the pieces roll off of the branch and crash to the ground.

That will teach them to invade others' privacy. He stretched out and flew back to the box.

With nothing better left to do, I curled up in the 'nest' ready to take a nap. Colonel came over and laid down, wrapping his body around mine with his wing resting over my back.

What's ya doing? I propped an eye open.

I wasn't mad or anything. The box was rather small and I was quite comfy like this. In any case, it was a lot better than the cold metal cage they constantly kept us in. I just wanted to tease him a bit and know what was going through his mind.

Figured I'd better play my role of the protective mate right. He smirked at first, but then it quickly fell and he slightly lifted his wing so that it hovered over my back. If that's okay?

That's alright with me. I smiled with closed eyes. I snuggled a little closer to him to show him I really meant it. You're warm and comfy.

Colonel relaxed, and if I would have had my eyes open, I would have seen him puff out his chest with a proud smile lighting up his face.

A surprising noise caught my ears. Colonel and I both crawled to look out of the opening, only to see scientists cheering and congratulating each other.

Are they- are they celebrating something? I turned to Colonel, who looked as confused as I felt.

All I got was a grunt before we decided to leave the humans to their weirdness and backed into the nest again, assuming our previous position.

Hell only knows what could make humans who basically keep kidnapped humans turned into little dragons in plastic shoe boxes and metal coffins happy like this. He commented.

I hummed back an agreement and fell asleep, not knowing that the next day would quite literally change all of our lives.