Chapter 3

Narrator POV:

It was almost two years since Bee hatched when something shocking happened.

After the small silver dragonet had hatched, every dragonet after him had the same build. There were about 30 of them at that point. They had also discovered that there were six base colors for the dragonets - males were either purple, blue, or silver, and female colors were red, yellow, and green.

The first four were the only ones with a second color, they were stockier, bigger, and had a pair of snake-like fangs right beside their canines that stood up when they hissed. While the first four stopped growing past the size of a healthy adult border collie, others' biggest size was about an average domestic adult cat.

Another thing different was that the first four had a little more meat in their diet. While others got some fish or chicken about once or twice a week, they had a little bowl with a mix of meat cubes right beside their bigger bowl of fruits at least every other day.

The difference that shocked them the most was that the other dragonets could remember their past lives. They could remember their families, their childhoods, their names.

The oldest ones were a little jealous at first but then figured that it's probably better that they don't remember. They saw what the depression forming from that did to some of the dragonets and were instead grateful for the little blessings.

That one faithful day started like any other. They woke up, ate, hissed at the humans, got taken to the playroom where they were also examined one by one, had conversations, and made escape plans. Well, that was until the oldest dragonets heard Ember's panicked voice from the playroom in their private group mind link.

Guy! I- I just found out why we are different. Why they don't make them as they made us anymore...

Colonel stood up alert, while Bee woke up from her nap with a start and Blue put a dead stop to his own storytelling.

Ember, what's going on? How do you know? Colonel worried for her safety, especially 'cause Ember never sounded so scared.

They discussed it here in the playing room. She grew quiet before talking with a shaky voice. The success rate. It was too low...

Too low? How low? Bee almost whispered, trying not to startle her friend. While they were in their cages, Ember was in a room with humans, she couldn't be rash.

Only 1 in about 250 survived the whole process...

Shock paralyzed the three dragonets in their cages when it only added fuel to the fire that was already scolding in the red dragoness. They could feel her fury and to say they were scared would be a horrid understatement. As big and strong as she was, she was greatly outnumbered and underprepared.

A 1000 people had to suffer and die just for the four of us! Just so they could do what?! Have something pretty to look at?!  Ember snarled.

She had had enough. She was done idly standing by and letting them hurt people just because they can. She cut the mind link off before the others had a chance to calm her down and convince her to be smart. She was done being smart, it was time for action.

Ember. Colonel tried to reach her, only to hit a mental wall. Ember, don't you dare! Ember!

He could only share a desperate look with the other two members of their little group. They weren't completely sure what she was going to do, but they knew it couldn't end well.

A few minutes went by before they heard Ember's weak voice whisper.

I'm so sorry. I reacted. They know.