Chapter 2

Narrator POV:

It had been months now from the day the little yellow and black dragonet had hatched. Since then a lot had changed.

After her, two more dragonets with black stripes and spots had hatched and the four of them had discovered that they could speak to each other with what they named mind link. The four of them couldn't remember their past lives, but they knew that they were human before. All the knowledge was there, but not the memories associated with them. They also gave each other names.

The purple dragonet that had been the first one to hatch got the name Colonel. He was the serious one that kept them sane and took the lead in discussions and whenever the humans got close, he was the one that initiated the choruses of growls and hisses that welcomed them.

The second to gain her name was the yellow dragonet. Sweet in nature, sharp as a needle, and if the colors shall fit so, she was named Bee. And Bee liked that name, she thought that these tiny creatures were severely underestimated and underappreciated. Besides, she had discovered that she had quite a sweet tooth. She made sure that none of them felt alone or unwanted. She tried to offer others as much comfort with her warm smiles and kind words as she possibly could, but being trapped in a glass box didn't give her that many options.

The third one was a blue male that went simply with his color - Blue. He was easygoing and goofy, not a day went by where he didn't try to make his co-captives smile or laugh with a joke or some silly action. He was the one that kept the spirit up by making them forget their predicament with all the crazy stories he came up with.

The fourth was the fiery red female whose fuse was shorter than freshly mowed grass. She was also the angryest out of all of them but never used that against the other dragonets. Humans had the misfortune of being her outlet. Even though she was rather impulsive, she was passionate and kind to her friends in her own way. That gained her the name Ember.

Over the course of the next year, while the four of them kept growing and at the end of it were already the size of a healthy Maine coon cat, the eggs were coming and going, but no dragonets came. They noticed that the scientists seemed frustrated and the dragonets' visits to the room they could stretch and play at had lessened to only once a day.

Until one day, something happened. An egg hatched. A small silver dragonet climbed out of it, but it looked different from the four of the older dragonets. He had only one color, no stripes, spots, or even a change in the color tone. His ears weren't as long and his whole body seemed more narrow.

He looks so small... and fragile. Blue commented in the general mind link.

It was what they all thought. And they were worried for this small new dragonet.

Maybe he'll just have to build muscles. And... the stripes could appear later? Some animals do that, right? Bee hoped to stay positive, though she had trouble even just convincing herself.

Then Ember spoke up. Yeah, but we didn't. And I don't think we were that small. Do you think he's a runt?

Ember! Bee scolded her friend. He could be in serious danger. If that's true, the scientists won't keep him alive, won't they? Bee worriedly turned to Colonel, who was still quietly studying their youngest member.

As the hatchling opened his eyes and slowly took everything in, Bee realized that Colonel was mind liking him and explaining everything.

He won't survive.

Ember's cold voice cut like ice through Bee's heart. Looking at her, Bee saw the sad look in her eyes and the slumped shoulders told Bee that Ember didn't say that to be mean. She said that so that her friends would be prepared for the worst.

Blue, however, had no intention of putting up with that.

I bet you a song that he will. He smugly dared her.

What bloody song? You can't sing! Ember glared at him with a suspicious look on her face.

Yeah! Blue had a mischievous smile on his scaly snout. If you win, I will sing a song. If I win, I will sing three songs.

It's a lose-lose for me either way!

Guys! Bee cut in with a disappointed look before continuing quietly. You are betting on someone's life.

Sorry, Bee.

Sorry.

The two chorused like scolded children. Bee laid down and looked over to see the hatchling inspecting himself and she could tell that Colonel was still talking to him. She smirked slightly before speaking to the two sulking dragonets, making them smile again.

However, which one of us manages to draw the new scientist's blood first is a whole different story.