Chapter 12

Narrator POV:

The flock of wild dragonets was enjoying the sun. Two days ago they had found a small opening in the thick forest that was littered with old rabbit holes.

The rabbits had been long gone, barely any scent of them left. The dragonets had moved in the very same day and it had been quiet since. The small caves left by the little mammals were perfect for the second generation and the Guardians preferred to stay on the high branches surrounding everyone, keeping watch.

While the peace and quiet was nice, it was a little too quiet for the two bigger dragonets, making them paranoid. For some reason, most of the animals and birds kept away from this place, even the pesky coyotes only dared to come so close before turning tail.

Although the two Guardians were put a little edge by this, the rest of them stalked it up to other animals finally learning not to mess with them.

Would the two of you relax? There's no danger here. Dave the blue dragonet told them upon seeing Colonel and Bee constantly alert.

Exactly. Why is there apparently no danger in the forest where there is nothing but danger around every corner? Colonel retorted.

Colonel was really hoping that Dave could give him a convincing answer. He wanted to believe they actually found a safe place outside of the walls.

It wasn't easy for him and Bee. While other dragonets slept peacefully through the night, knowing that someone had their backs, the two older dragonets were the ones that had everyone else's backs. All the time. They truly had taken the saying 'you can rest when you're dead' to heart because they barely got any.

Because we are not in a corner. Why don't you take a break? Both of you. Dave turned to the trees where he saw the two looking back at him. You look horrible.

Thanks. Bee deadpanned. Just what a girl wants to hear. That's what I get for making sure they have their heads on their necks, wings on their backs and food in their stomach. She turned over her half-hearted complaint to Colonel.

That's not what this moron meant. The red dragonet Abyrin walked up to smack Dave with her wing. It's just that the two of you have been working harder than anyone, you deserve a break. Take care of yourselves for a change - eat, sleep, sunbathe while the sun is still up and socialize a little.

Yeah. Dave agreed, rubbing the back of his head. Besides, we aren't babies, we can take care of ourselves.

With that, they reluctantly agreed, it just sounded too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Colonel opened a private link with Bee.

Wanna go hunt?

You go, I think I'm gonna take a nap or something. Bee yawned.

Blue nodded his agreement. You in the mood for something?

Umm... what about poultry?

Sounds good. I think I'm gonna go and get one of those vulture-like jerks. It's time to teach them what the word karma means.

Alright, just be careful. Bee chuckled, already half asleep on the same branch she was on before.

With one final nod, Colonel was off. Bee fell asleep almost immediately. The two of them missed out on sunbathing since the sun went down quickly after that. The dragonets all retreated to their designated caves, making sure to leave a pair to act as a lookout in the place of the Guardians.