Chapter Seventy-Eight

"Your father is constantly ringing up your phone," Nikolai informed with a cold voice and even colder expression as he tossed Dimitri's phone over to him, Dimitri grabbed it just as it was about to hit the floor

He placed it against his ear and talked in Russian and all I got from it was "papa". Dimitri then turned to me and smiled before he walked out of the pool area. On his way out, he slapped Nikolai's shoulder in a friendly manner.

"Nikolai..."

He turned to walk back out, "Go to your room, Evangeline..."

I let out a loud groan of annoyance, "I'm not a goddamn child, Nikolai!"

"Could've fooled me," he mumbled under his breath.

"Excuse me?!"

"We are going for dinner at my uncle's place tomorrow night. Be ready by eight," saying that he walked out.

I immediately followed behind him, "Nikolai, what is wrong with you?!"

"Why would you think anything's wrong?" he asked, walking towards his study.

"Why are you avoiding me?" I asked, trying to keep up with his pace.

"I thought you were the one who told me to stay away from you," he answered, opening the door of his study.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean that-"

He faced me, standing in the doorframe of the study, "What did you expect? You thought that I'd chase you? I don't fucking chase anyone. It's time you get off your high horse, Evangeline, you are not that special."

Then he slammed the door in my face. My lips slowly parted as I took in his words. I inhaled a sharp breath, my hands were trembling so were my legs. The shock from his words was too much for me.

Tears brimmed at the corner of my eyes. I sniffled and wiped them, I'm not gonna cry over Nikolai's behavior. If that's what he wants, if that's what he thinks, then I'm fine with that. I'm tired of running after him, I'm tired of being the only one who is trying to make sense of this doomed marriage.

I turned and went upstairs to my room. I closed the bedroom door and leaned against it for a few minutes.

Does he really not feel anything for me? Was it that easy for him to ignore me? Was it that easy for him?

I walked to my bed, holding in my tears, and slid under the covers. I turned the lampshade off and stared at the ceiling in the dark. I tried to sleep but it never came.

The whole night, I kept turning and twisting in my bed. I didn't sleep, I didn't cry, I just lay there staring at the ceiling. I felt numb.

I watched the night sky slowly get brighter and brighter until the sunlight spread all over it, lighting up the whole city. I picked up my cellphone and checked the time. It was six-thirty a.m, he usually wakes up at six thirty a.m. no matter how late he goes to bed, the second the clock struck six, he gets up and goes to the bathroom. After our marriage, he also had a routine for kissing my forehead every time he woke up, even in the middle of the night, I'd feel his hands caressing my skin, his lips softly exploring my body.