Chapter Sixty-Six

We have been staying at Nikolai's Villa in Sicily for almost ten days now

We have been staying at Nikolai's Villa in Sicily for almost ten days now. He had barely been home. I spent most of my time by myself or with his relatives. I met with some of the Costellos, the ones that lived in Italy anyway. They were lovely until they started speaking in Italian, considering I didn't understand a single word. I always think that they are bitching about me.

Everyone here knew about our disaster of a wedding day. Some of the older women even said I must have seduced my way into his bed and committed fornication; that's why he married me.

When I told them that we hadn't consummated our marriage yet, and I had not seduced my way into his bed, they called me out on that too. They said I was an evil woman to keep my husband from bedding me. They said I'd go to hell with my long list of sins.

It was all so weird.

I wouldn't say I liked it at all.

This morning, the doctor finally opened the stitches, as my wound had healed quite spectacularly. I could now move my arm around easily, but the doctor advised me not to exert or overdo anything.

As usual, I was wandering around here and there mindlessly when I heard Nikolai's voice. I turned and saw him getting out of the car with a bunch of his soldiers. He took off the sunglasses, and his eyes wandered around before settling on me.

He gestured for me to come closer to him, which I did without a question.

"Get in the car," he ordered.

"Are we going somewhere?"

He raised an eyebrow as if he was disappointed in me for asking that question. I don't know why he has been in such a bad mood nowadays, "Just get in, Evangeline."

I sat in the backseat, and he slammed the door shut. A few moments later, the other side door opened, and Nikolai settled beside me, telling the driver to start driving.

"How's your arm?"

"Better."

"Good."

"Where are we going?"

He didn't answer me; he just wrapped an arm around me and pulled me closer to him. I rested my head on his shoulder for the rest of the car ride, staring out the window. He didn't want to answer that question; that much I understood.

"Your family doesn't like me; they don't like me at all," I told him as I watched the passing trees.

"Did anyone say anything to you?" his voice turned brusque, harsh like he was ready to light anyone on fire if they hurt me.

"No, but I could see it on their faces."

"Don't bother, baby girl. Fuck their likes and dislikes."

I laughed lightly. "They think of me as the other woman. The evil witch who seduced you and stole you away from Grace."