Chapter Twenty-One

I kept crying on my pillows until they were soaked from both sides

I kept crying on my pillows until they were soaked from both sides. I picked it up suddenly annoyed by its presence and tossed it across the room.

I had turned on all the lights. I even slept with the light on for the past two days, that is if sleep came because every time I closed my eyes all I could see was that deafening darkness. The darkness that gnawed at my body and soul. A shudder ran down my spine.

Staying in that room, made me want to pull my hair out, or worse, I wanted to kill myself. I thought I was going crazy. I thought I was going to die. I thought that I will never get out of there.

My bedroom door opened and a maid entered with a tray full of food. She gave me a weak smile because it was the third time in an hour she has come in here with a tray full of food.

"Get out!" I yelled and slid back on my butt, pressing myself into the headboard.

She sighed. "You need to eat, Don Niko---"

I cut her off. "No! I don't want to eat! How many times do I have to tell you that? Just get out! And tell Don Niko that I don't need his fake care anymore!"

Behind her entered the person I never wanted to see again. I spent five hours in that room according to Bianca and in those five hours, all I could see was Nikolai's monstrous eyes looking back at me before he shut the door in my face.

He wasn't the man I thought he was. He was ruthless, evil, and an animal. I cried, I apologized again and again until I couldn't breathe but he didn't care about any of that. All he cared about was teaching me a lesson for not respecting him, for not listening to him.

After my parents died and when I came here, I thought I had finally found freedom but what I didn't know, it was still the same. Dad kept me on a tight leash, Nikolai loosened it; made it longer, but what I didn't realize was that I still had a leash around my neck. No matter what happens a leash will always be a leash.

"Evangeline, you aren't eating. You need to eat" still his voice was commanding, indifferent, void of any emotion, free of guilt. I at least expect some words that contained even a tiny amount of guilt but no he didn't give me anything.

I glanced at the maid, completely ignoring his presence in the room. "You can leave!"

"Leave the food..." Nikolai voiced.

The maid set the tray before me on the bed and left the room, leaving me alone with Nikolai. I wanted to run out of this room but couldn't even do that, where will I go?

"I'm not hungry," I said through gritted teeth, refusing to look at him. 

"You still haven't learned your lesson?"

Everything returned to me in full force. His punishment, his words, that room, the darkness, the silence, everything... I didn't even realize it when I started to sob until I felt his finger on my cheek, wiping the tear away. I flinched from his touch, pushing his hand away, and dragged myself away from him.